Sony KDF60XS955 60" LCD TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nate Haley, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Nate Haley

Nate Haley Agent

I can't find the actual resolution of this TV anywhere. Can someone tell me it's resolution???

2. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

It displays all signals as 720p, I believe. It accepts 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i at the very least.

The actual "resolution" of the set is 1386 x 788.

3. Nate Haley

Nate Haley Agent

If it converts all signals to 720p, why do 1080i signals look way better than 720p signals on this TV?

4. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

How does it "display all signals as 720p"?

It is a fixed pixel display at 788p. That is what it displays.

5. Andrew Grall

Well, yes, it is technically 788p. I think some of that "resolution" is part of the overscan range though... Or I could be understanding that wrong...

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

I don't think that's right. Sony RP-LCDs convert all incoming signals to 788p. Sony believes the extra pixels make for extra sharpness. Otherwise, they would just use 720p panels like Panasonic and Hitachi.

I'm not saying I agree with Sony, btw. Personally I found the Panasonic picture sharper, but these things are always in the eye of the beholder and very dependent upon signal feed, calibration, etc.

7. Nate Haley

Nate Haley Agent

So, does anyone have any idea why the 1080i signal looks so much better than the 720p signal. It can't just be the extra 68 lines..??..

8. Andrew Grall

Maybe the TV does better conversion of the signal than the cable box? I don't know...

9. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

So look guys and girls, The wife and I are really looking at this TV along with the Panasonic PT-60DL54. If you had the choice, which would you pick? Why? I know about this rainbow effect everyone is talking about with the DLP TVs but, first I've never seen this phenomenon and second I've been told the Panasonics are really good at making it not so noticeable. The Sony on the other hand is an LCD and doesn't suffer with this problem but kind of has a problem with black levels from what I've seen. Not terribly but it's just more food for thought. Anyway, help a brother out!