Sony KDF60XBR950 Stand options? What did you do?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Aric Friesen, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Aric Friesen

Aric Friesen Extra

Ok, me thinks after plunking down the $$$ for the great looking KDF60XBR950 that another $1,000 for the matching Sony stand is a bit much.

I haven't bought the TV yet, but the wife won't let me until I find an acceptable/good looking option, so...what do you recommend?

I'm assuming there aren't wall mounting options for this TV?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

We are getting this set in Sept. so we are looking at centers to put it in now. The wife likes everything neat and tidy.[​IMG]

3. Aric Friesen

Aric Friesen Extra

Well, I bought the TV, and a stand. Boy, it was harder finding a stand than the TV.

I really didn't like the Sony stand. It's all metal and glass with no doors. Most of my furniture is wood, so the metal and glass doesn't look good, plus I wanted to be able to throw my XBOX and DVDs in the stand if possible and a glass shelf with no door doesn't give you many options. Ok, so I figured forget Sony's $1000 stand, I'll get some cheap thing from Sauder, and upgrade my furniture later.

Well, apparently Sauder customers don't buy 60" TVs as most of their stuff topped out at 55inch support. Some of their up and over items supported large TVs, but of course, no stand as they were developer around rear projection CRT TVs that include a cabinet all the way to the floor.

So I shopped around (after I bought the TV mind you, so the stress was on...as I had no place to setup the TV until I got a stand)

I went to Best Buy. They sell a 60 inch Sony rear project LCD TV. You know what stand they had it on? A stand for a 32inch TV. It looked dangerous and quite ridiculous as the TV was 3 times as wide as the stand they had it on.

Ok ok, I thought, the internet. Well, the internet turned up an option or two. Munari makes some cool modular furniture, but it's pricey. $1100 for what is equivalent to a stand for this TV. Of course, unlike the Sony one, it has doors so you could put stuff in them, and they have them in wood so they better match my decor, but $1100 just for a stand....I moved on.

Next I found Sauder had one item 65 inches wide that would work.
    http://www.sauder.com/furniture/product.asp?p=542
    I think I priced it at $470. I don't remember if someone local carried it (Best Buy?) or if that was an internet price. Oh, and I'd have to order it so 15 days (I have my TV now so I didn't want to wait over two weeks). Lastly, the light colored wood and retro/modern design doesn't match anything in my house.

Then I found the budget way out. Bush makes a stand I found for $320 that is wide enough.
    http://www.everythingfurniture.com/p...v-stand-1.html (not the best price I found, but can't remember where the best price was.) It's kinda' ugly but it looks better than the Sony stand IMHO and it is third the price. I still had to order it so it was 15 days away, and with a 30 day money back guarantee on my TV, I didn't want to loose two weeks, so I passed.

Finally I found a nice stand for $550 at Ultimate Electronics. The brand is Laurier. The stand is from their Melody collection (web site doesn't look updated to include the expandable stand yet.)
    http://www.laurierfurniture.com/eng/...dy/melody.html It's pretty cool and it's expandable from 45" to 65". Perfect. They can get it in 2~3 business days so it will be delivered to my home on Monday. (BTW I liked it enough, that I couldn't resist buying the whole up and over unit as well so I ended up spending over $2000 for furniture that I set out to spend less than $500 on! But at least I'll have a nice place for my DVDs and components and XBOX.)

I can't wait!

BTW I posted this exauhstive info. to help anyone else who purchases a Sony 60" rear projection LCD TV and doesn't like the Sony stand. [​IMG]