Sony KDF55WF655 or Panasonic PT-52LCX65?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jonathan T., Jun 7, 2005.

1. Jonathan T.

Jonathan T. Stunt Coordinator

I'm shopping around for a big screen TV. I have ruled out CRT because I simply do not have the space for one. I have also, I think ruled out DLP. While I don't see the rainbow effect, and I can't deny the better blacks, I am a bit disapointed with the colour accuracy, and more than that, I have noticed severe pincushion distortion on every one I have seen, which I can't accept under any circumstances.

So I think LCD Projection os the way I am going to go. The screen door effect is a non issue for me, since I can't see it at a normal viewing distance.

Currently I am looking at two models, The Panasonic PT-52LCX65, and the Sony KDF55WF655.

The Sony sems to have slightly better blacks, and to my eyes has more accurate colour, good sking tones, appears that minimal tweaking would be needed when in "pro" mode. The Panasonic, disapointingly has poorer blacks, but of more concern is that no matter what I did to the settings is seems to be biased towards green, giving skintones a distinctly yellow appearance.

I trust panasonic's quality more, but The sony seem to have a better picture. still if the panasonics shortcoming can be fixed, without me having to pay for a pro calibration that I cant afford (sadly), I might still go that way.

Expert opinions appretiated.

PS, the sony uses higher resolution panels 1388 verus 1280. Since the panasonic panels are exactly 720s resolution, my brain tells me that their should be no scaling with a 720p signal, and therefore a better picture. but that's not what my eyes tell me...

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Personally, I think that the Sony is a better TV. I have the Sony KDF-55XS955 and am very happy with it.

3. Jonathan T.

does anyone have any objective opinions? I'm really loking for the experts here.

4. Jonathan T.

anyone?

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Sony is more tweakable than the Panasonic in the service menu. I like that the set can be easily adjusted to have 0 overscan if desired ... although one would not desire that.

more tweakable is the key ... also better grayscale on the sony ... post calibration.

regards

6. John S

John S Producer

I have experience with both the Panasonic and Sony LCD RP displays....

The Sony is better, but the Panasonic is real good on it's own. I have seen the Panasonic more than $1k less for similar size, for that sort of savings, I'd have to go with the Panny myself. The only major difference I really could come up with between the two was that the sony I could get like 1 foot away and still not have any SDE (screen door effect), the Panasonic shows it from about 3 feet or closer.

After basic calibration, both sets pretty much wowed me, and have me leaning towards LCD projection as my fixed pixel/Digital display of choice. I now totally see one in my not to distant future. [​IMG]

7. Jonathan T.

For me the cost is about the same for both as I get a discount. Overall I prefer Panasoic as a brand, as they seem to have more consistant quality, but in this case I guess my eyes were correct, the Sony is better and will probably be my choice.

Second question, is it worth stepping up to the 955?

8. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The plexiglass is more of a curse ... I'd take the quasi non reflective screen anyday.

Reflections hide detail ...

Regards

9. Jonathan T.

which one has plexi glass?

10. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The more upscale one always seems to have plexiglass ... makes it look for upscale ...

Their XBR ones all have plexiglass too.

Regards

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Sorry, but there's no plexiglass on the XS955. The screen isn't reflective at all. That's one of the things that I love about my 55XS955 since I have a lot of ambient light in my room. The XBR does have the plexiglass.

The XS955 was worth it to me because of the 2nd HDMI input and the additional video settings that are available. Makes it very easy to get a great picture without going into the service menu.

12. Jonathan T.

tim brings up a good point. I had heard that the 955 had more user control over the picture, but I wonder if the sony service menu is very difficult to figure out? if it isn't, then I'd stick with the 655, since I peronsally like the look of it better. However if the service menu is a really tricky one, then I will spring for the 955 anyway.