Sony KDF-E50A10 vs Panny PT-61LCX65

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Josh Mc, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Josh Mc

Josh Mc Extra

Hello all,

I am currently going back and forth between these two televisions. I was set on the Sony until a quick trip to Best Buy set my size sites a bit higher when I saw the Panny. I haven't been able to compare them at length for picture quality yet though. Price was leading me towards the Sony, but since them I have found many online retailers are selling the Panisonic for sub-$2200, which happens to be my price point.

Can anyone give me their opinions regarding either one of these sets, either head to head opinion, or just an opinion on one or the other individually?

Thanks So Much,

Josh McKinney

2. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    I've got the previous years model of the Panny, the PT-60LCX64 and love it. Sams club and Costco both have had them at decent prices with the stand included if that is an option for you.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I have not had great success with the Panny LCD and DLP RPTVs and would recommend you avoid them.

Consider Sony and Samsung. Both are very good units.

www.tvauthority.com carries Samsung, not sure about the Sony line. When you buy from a company like TVA they will take care of you if there is a problem (unlike the issues in the HP Problem thread).

Regards

Gregg

4. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    What problems have you seen with them? I used Video Essentials on mine and think it looks pretty good afterwards.

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    the gray scales are terrible. Correct gray scale equates to more accurate color, better 3D depth, and greater percieved resolution. the gray scale issues are not correctable.

Regards

gregg

6. John S

John S Producer

I like the displays. The Sony is better, but the deals on those Pannys that come along are good enough that I would consider one.

I know a couple of owners and they seem very happy. Probably previous years models there as well though.

I do agree the grey scale could be better. SDE is only a touch more than the Sony.