Sony KDF-60wf655 vs. Hitachi 60vs810 vs. Hitachi 60vx915 ??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bob Nug, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Bob Nug

Bob Nug Auditioning

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on these 3 Rear Projection LCD sets. Pros, Cons, perspectives, experiences?

2. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Here's some observations from calibrating the Sony 60wf655 and the Hitachi 60vx915. I know this will sound very nitpicky, but to those of you who like knowing the more intricate technical performances of these sets it should be interesting. Maybe it'll spark some more interesting discussion.
    Via component inputs, the Hitachi resolves more resolution at 720p than the Sony, but at 1080i the Hitachi shows a strange aliasing type of behavior on the highest resolution test pattern. In other words, in 1080i when it is asked to reproduce fine details that are beyond it's panel resolution, it reproduces them but not at their accurate resolution. It's hard to explain, but as the resolution lines get finer and finer, the Hitachi reproduces the last (the finest, highest resolution) patch at about double the thickness that the lines should be. The Sony just blurs the last patch together, as you would expect of a fixed panel display that is being asked to reproduce resolution beyond it's native resolution. The advantage goes to Hitachi at 720p or Sony at 1080i (via component), but both advantages are slight.
    Both can get quite bright, about 80-110 footlamberts. From what I remember, the black levels were roughly similar.
    The Hitachi's color management and color decoder controls can get the color decoder close and eliminate red push, but it cannot nail red and green hue as you might expect. The Sony has color decoder controls in the service menu that can be adjusted to get the color decoder absolutely perfect. Very slight advantage for Sony if you get it professionally calibrated, advantage to Hitachi if you don't.
    There is tremendous flexibility in the Sony's service menu. It has seperate red, green, and blue gamma controls which not only give adjustment of overall gamma, but allow the grayscale to be made incredibly accurate. The Hitachi lacks these controls. Advantage to Sony if you have it calibrated.
    The Hitachi has very thorough service menu adjustments for adjusting color and brightness uniformity across the screen. If a calibrator takes time to do it (it's very time consuming), you can get color and luminance uniformity perfect across the entire screen area. It does benefit from getting this done, as color and brightness uniformity are noticeably inferior to the Sony unless this procedure is done. Slight advantage to Hitachi if you get it calibrated, advantage to Sony if you don't.
    There is some slight edge enhancement that can't be calibrated out on both models at DVD resolution, but maybe a hair less on the Hitachi. From what I remember, both model's green primary is very slightly yellowish.
    These differences are all pretty subtle. Overall, I have a very slight preference for the Sony because of it's highly flexible gamma.

Chad

3. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Thanks for this. I just bought the Sony 60 inch last week. I had also heard an un-calibrated Hitachi could be better, however, in Canada the stand came free with the Sony and getting price matched; I got it with a stand and 5 yr extended warranty for 4999.00 Canadian. Quite a bit cheaper than the Hitachi. I believe the free stand deal is on till March. I also preferred Sony's menu system. Good luck; either choice is, from what I have heard, a good one.