Sony KD-34XBR960 vs KD-34xx955

Discussion in 'Displays' started by EricRWem, May 19, 2005.

1. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I've been pouring over specs and prices. I've seen both TV's and have been blown away by the PQ on both.

I've been getting some conflicting information about the differences between these two Sony HD CRT tube sets.

Can someone break these down for me? I hope some owners come forward as well.

The 34xs955 is a lot easier to come by for me, in terms of local availability. For the XBR, I'd have to go online to get it, but I'm willing to if it's really a big plus for me.

What do I give up if I go for the xs955 instead of the XBR960?

Or...are their better Direct View tubes out there besides these? [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I believe the cheaper model simply lacks some of the XBR's features (don't know which ones). As for the XBR itself, I've never seen a better-looking picture on a direct-view, CRT-based set. In short, it's state of the art.

3. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    That's how I feel about it. It's also good enough that, at least WSR uses it as their reference monitor. I guess that has to mean something! [​IMG]

In my case, the xs955 is a LOT easier to come by, locally. To get the XBR960, I'd have to go online and I'm willing to do that if the difference is really worth it.

I guess a place like Crutchfield is how I'd go. I'm just concerend about what happens to me if, God forbid, I take delivery of that beast and something is wrong with it.

I'm not strong enough by myself to manhandle that TV and repack it to get it out of the house. (Back injuries.)

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I've worked on both units and I find them to be pretty much the same. The image is the same ...

Regards

5. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I certainly wouldn't doubt your word, Michael. I know you from both here and AVS. [​IMG]

But that's the kind of feedback that has me on the fence vs. an obvious, no-brainer decision one way or the other. [​IMG]

Assuming that's true, then the XBR only adds the firewire and PIP?

No PIP whatsoever on the xs955 seems to be a curious and needless omission.

I guess that seals it for me. It'll have to be the 960, because I use PIP all the time.

I guess I'll have to wait until July, when that supposed price drop from Sony is supposed to happen on a lot of their TV's.