Sony KD-34XBR2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LorenzoD, Mar 13, 2002.

1. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

Any thoughts on this HDTV?

I'm drawn to it because it's a CRT and not an RPTV. Maybe I'm just fickle, but CRT still looks better to me.

Also, I'm not sure if this model supports DVI or not. Can anyone confirm this? Should I insist on a DVI capable HDTV?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

FYI, Lorenzo: Most RPTVs are driven by CRTs. The Sony in question is what you would call a "direct-view" display.

As to your question, the set is reviewed in the current issue of The Perfect Vision (one of the two best HT-related magazines, IMO). The reviewer raved about this set; he fell out of his chair describing the thing's performance. I've seen its predecessor in action (which cost twice as much), and its performance was memorable. This model, though, improves on it--at half the price.

If you can get one, do so.

3. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

I guess I really meant direct-view then... :b

Does anyone have one of these bad boys?

Again, DVI?

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Lorenzo
    I would also consider the XBR 700. It is a 40 inch 4:3 direct view and is HD ready. It does not have the HD decoder built in like the KD 34 XBR2. It has gotten great reviews as well. The 40 4:3 inch tube will give you a bigger picture than the 34 inch 16:9 with all aspect ratios. With 4:3 material the 40 you get 768 square inches of picture, on the 34 you get 371 square inches of picture. With 2.35 aspect ratio you get 435 square inches of picture on the 40, while 371 square inches on the 34.
    The 40 can be readily bought for $3000 or less. I just called J&R Music and they sell the 40 for $2899 and the 34 for $3299. Costco even carries the 40 for $2,999.

5. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

The XBR700 is also another candidate that has piqued my interest. Now, while the picture may be larger than the 34XBR2, how do the other features compare between the two? What about picture quality?

Anyone know of a side-by-side comparison that has been done between these two models?

The built-in HDTV decoder in the 34XBR2 is something I'm iffy about. I would really prefer a decoder that has DirecTV capability. In the end, it might make more sense to go with the XBR700 and get a stand-alone HDTV decoder that offers what I need.

Then again, the 34XBR2's widescreen looks so appealing to me...

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I agree with Arthur, vis. the KV-40XBR700; everything he says is accurate (and the set has been reviewed in at least four magazines so far, each of the reports glowing). If I had one caveat to toss into the discussion, though, it would concern the XBR700's practicality: it weighs 286 pounds. Give that fact careful consideration. The "optional" stand for the XBR, which lists for $499, is not so optional after all. And, with either set, plan on having friends over to help you get it out of the carton and to place it in your home theater. At least you can order out for a pizza and enjoy some brews afterward, while screening a favorite movie.

7. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

Decisions, decisions...

Do either of these Wegas have a similar history of display problems like some of the older/smaller models?

If so, do you think it's worth the risk of having to go through several sets before I can find one that is acceptable? Or should I start to look elsewhere?

RPTVs seem to have come along way in the last several years, so maybe I can get over my bias. Then there's plasma...

Those plasma Wegas sure look mighty nice!

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Lorenzo

Both of these models are too new to have a real history of problems. Going through several of these sets will be a lot of trouble, especially with the 40 because of its size and weight.

I have seen both sets using the same feed. The 34 looked sharper. But that goes with the smaller screen. The larger the screen the harder to have a perfect picture. Compared to these direct views, a 53 inch RPTV will be at a disadvantage simply because of the screen size.

For less than either one of the Sony tubes, I can recommend that you look at the Hitachi 53UXD10B. Tops in reliability and tops in picture performance, especially with standard definition material. This 4:3 set lists for $2,500. You can easily get it for $2,250.

I think you have to decide what is most important to you, picture clarity or screen size. If it is picture clarity, the Sony 34 is tops. Remember though, the picture size on the 34 is quite small with 4:3 material. Close to a 27 inch 4:3.

Artie

9. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

To me, picture clarity is the ultimate deciding factor. Otherwise, why not forego HDTV and DVD all together?

I'll take a look at that Hitachi you mentioned, Artie. I have not considered Hitachi since it's not one of the more popular brand names. (There I go again with my predispositions.) Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised...

10. LorenzoD

LorenzoD Agent

Um... is the Hitachi 53UDX10B even HDTV ready?

[edit]Nevermind... it is.[/edit]

11. Chris Berban

Chris Berban Auditioning

[aside]My first post here in probably a year if not longer...[/aside]
    I too am thinking about either of the two Sonys listed above. The Hitachi is intruiging, and I'll look into that as well. I've been gong back and forth deciding between the 40" and the 34" and now I have this Hitachi to throw in the mix!!
    Out of curiosity... what is DVI? (I didn't see anything in the primer.... and like I said, it's been awhile...)
    Thanks... It's good to be back.
    - Berbs

12. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

There is also the 36XBR450 to consider which can be had for 2K.... I have had it for 9 months and still drool over it.

13. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

You may want to wait till this years models come out for the Sony. I have the 36xbr400 and on HD and DV it looks awesome there is some(alot) of atifacting on less then stellar sources.

From what I understand, the new Wegas will allow you to choose the degree of DRC(line doubling) the TV does.

Sometimes, during sports, I wish I could shut it off due to the artifacts!

14. Brandon Eaton

Brandon Eaton Auditioning

To answer the DVI question, neither the 34" or 40" Sony has it. I believe the 34" has firewire. For the person who asked, DVI is a type of digital connection which all satellite boxes will soon use. There is concern that eventually all outputs from STBs, HD-DVD, ect. may only have DVI to insure copy protection. This will all be determined in the future.

I have a 32" XBR and love everything about it except it's size. It does an amazing job on my cable, I'm not sure if that is because I have a good signal, it is a small screen, or the TVs DRC feature. I will get the Grand Wega or a front projector for movies and sports while I watch most everything else on the 32". If I was in the market for one TV for multiple applications I would get the 40" XBR or wait until next year to get a similiar sized TV with DVI.

15. Chris Berban

Chris Berban Auditioning

Any one have links to the new Sony sets that will be out this year?
    - Berbs

16. Brandon Eaton

17. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I don't have the 34XBR2 but I drool over it everytime I see the thing in stores. From what I have seen, the Picture quality of this unit is superior to anything I have seen yet including the 40XBR and the 36/32XBR's. I just wish I could afford it and I would be all over this set. But I guess I have to settle for the toshiba or panasonic 34".[​IMG]

18. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yeah, the 34XBR2 has great picture quality if you don't mind sitting 4 feet away from your TV.

19. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

I have the 40xbr700 w/sony hd100 and couldn't be happier. Currently only had 2 directv HD channels but putting up a CM4228 for Boston locals next Monday and having Gregg Loewen calibrate the 40" this Sunday. Can't wait for the look see after these two operations are complete. I went from a sony 27" to the 32xbr450 last summer for about four months then traded up to the 40 when I saw her on the showroom floor. Night and day between the 32 and the 40.

20. Brandon Eaton

Steve,

When you say night and day do you mean picture size only or have they actually improved the picture any from the 32" to the 40". I do agree it terms of shear size the 40" is a lot bigger (50%). I think that 32" is perfect for 4:3 but too small for 2.35:1.