Sony KD-30XS955 calibration questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Greg_S_H, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I've got a Sony KD-30XS955. First things first, is there a good way to calibrate sd/hd broadcasts other than just eyeballing it? I use Avia for the DVD player, but those settings don't seem to produce a proper image for cable or HDTV.

Also, as you may know, the television has a built-in tuner. With a settop box, it would be on a separate input and would have its own settings. With the built-in tuner, the ANT and cable share the same settings. Now, I could set the HD up for Pro and the cable for another setting (Standard, Movie, etc.) and have to hit an extra button when I switch, but is there in fact something I'm missing, and they can each have their own settings, both on Pro? Or, should both look proper when set up properly, with the same settings?

Thanks.

2. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

go to the thread 'THE SONY SERVICE CODES"

at www.avsforum.com

You'll get much better results if you calibrate all the way

3. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I can't. Samsung's service menus are pretty user friendly, but Sony's are too scary. I may look into that in the future, but I'm interested in just a basic calibration right now.

4. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

IT SEEMS DAUNTING AT FIRST BUT WITHIN 4 HOURS YOU'LL BW WHIZZING AROUND THE SERVICE MODE WITH TOTAL CONFIDENCE.

"THAT...IS WHY YOU FAIL"- YODA

5. Greg_S_H

Greg
    You're probably right. I went in after posting that and played around with some of the sharpness settings. I need to read and absorb what KenTech is saying, and then I might dive in more fully. I do hope someone can help me with my original questions, though.