What's new

Sony is no longer making minidisc decks for the home? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
You may recall the problems I have had getting a Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc deck repaied under warranty. Well, I am still waiting for the deck because a part is on back-order. Anyway, concerned that I may never have my 'JA555ES returned in suitable condition, I decided to check prices on the Sony MDS-JB940 minidisc deck through OneCall and J&R Music World. To my surprise, both dealers told me the 'JB940 has been discontinued, and OneCall said Sony is no longer making any "full-size" minidisc decks. Is this true? OneCall still has the 'JE470 on its web site, and Crutchfield has the 'JB940, 'JE470, and MXD-D40. My local Circuit City City still has the 'D40, though Best Buy stopped carrying minidisc decks. What has become of this great recording format is really sad. :frowning:

ChrisA

Second Unit
MD is the greatest recording format because of its many editing capabilities and CD quality sound
I disagree with that statement. I never, ever bought into minidisc low quality (convenient yes, quality no.). I could never be satisfied with Minidisc or other highly compressed lossy coding schemes out there. I hung on to my Denon DTR-80p portable DAT which made 2 hour samplers of my favorite music. Sure it loses the convienince of instant sitching between tracks, but I used it for running and goingto the beach, etc... For the home? OMG why? CD-R/CD is by far sonically flat from 1-22,000 with no huge amount of lossy compression. I make CD-R recordings of my CD collection so I can make samplers of my favorite CDs.

In my opinion, there is another higher quality portable format brewing. We've seen the announcement of digital VHS and blue-ray HD-DVD, so I'm sure there is a higher quality optical format on the way. I can't even fathom the idea of putting a minidisc player in my car or in my home. But then again, if I had to chose between Digital VHS at 24 Mbps bandwith with true MPEG-2 1080i and standard DVD as it stands, I'd pick the higher quality format every time--especially when there is an audible (or visible difference). Sure I'd love to have my cake and eat it too, hence HD-DVD, but if forced to pick, my choice is clear.

As far as minidisc is concerned, I wouldn't even use one to jog/run with, let alone for the home. I'll use CD-R until something equal or better comes along.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Chris, I totally disagree with you. MD is not high-end recording. But, it can do wonders if you pick the right hardware. I use it to record compilations and some album that comes by and it is not worth spending the money on the CD.

Keith! Still haven't resolved your case with Sony? I'm shocked to here the news, if they are real it is a shame. It is Sony's fault all the way. Will they do this with SACD too? Considering their enthusiasm for new technologies at first (Beta, MD, etc.) and their lack of support latter, abandoning it for some standard (VHS, CD-R, etc.) in favor for business, it won't hit me as a surprise if they do it again with SACD. Too bad, SACD looks very good to me. Damn Sony!

ChrisA

Second Unit
I'm really discgusted with the politics of SACD and DVD-A. There is so much B.S floating around it makes me sick. Both formats are outstanding and I don't think anyone could hear the difference if a proper DBT was set up. My interest lies exclusively in obtaining the best multichannel recordings, period.

Minidisc for the home? Bwah!

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
That is sad, if indeed Sony has pulled the plug on MD. I've been using the format for about 4 years now (Sony MDX-C7900 car deck, Sharp MD-MS722 recorder), and I love it! I am by no means an audiophile, but I have always loved the convenience, and the quality is certainly good enough to fool my untrained ears.
(Not to mention the sheer "coolness" factor...chicks dig an MD man! :D)
I'll be sure to pour out a little liquor tomorrow for my homey "MD".
Cheers,

Kevin T

Screenwriter
here's a link gleened from the minidisc community page in regard to the new Link Removed which will be released in august of 2002. no telling if it will ever hit the us but i don't think sony has totally abandoned md yet especially since it is hugely popular in japan and europe.
kevin t

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
A few magazine writers said MD has lossy sound and wasn't as good as CD and the result was people turned their noises up, like Chris. It sounds like he never had one. It's true that CD does sound a little bit better. I have MD's and CD players outputed to the same outboard DAC, so comparing them is fair. By my estimation MD sounds 90% as good as CD. That's good enough for me to make recordings for casual listening! Remember not all CD recorders make bit for bit copies. I suspect some CD recorders hardly do better than MD recorders.

I've never had anybody listening to my system say, hey that damn Minidisc sounds patentedly inferior take that trash off. People who have heard Minidisc at my house have been amazed how good it was. Most people know almost nothing about MD. Sony utterly failed marketing it in the U.S. Like so many of their products, they were too concerned with price-gouging the early adopters for one thing. By the time they got down off the high prices it was too late because people were buying CD recorders in droves.

Most people who record CD's have a bunch of "coasters", discs that didn't record right. I've never had a single MD malfunction! I can make CD's too but MD's will do and the format's features make it a real pleasure to use. I'm stocked up on players and discs for future use. Last fall I bought a shit-load of 60 minute MD's for a bargain price to record vinnyl albums onto. If I want to I get to record each of them up to a million times....I love MD!!!!!

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
MD is compressed, obviously. It is not, however, anywhere near as bad as MP3, which seems to be all the rage these days.

I'll agree with the 90% of CD quality sound statement. Some frequencies fair better in the ATRAC compression than others. I've got a live concert which was taped twice from the soundboard. Once from a DAT and once from MD. There are subtle differences in the recordings. They were both sounboard patches using similar cables. The only variable was the recordind device itself.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris said:
So what is the point of this diatribe? You know there are people here who enjoy minidisc, but instead of simply saying that you never cared for the format, you carried on through two posts about how it is not good enough for you. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to incite a riot here? Your tone is insulting to those who like minidisc, and that attitude is uncalled for. Plain and simple.
I agree with another member here. I doubt you have given minidisc an objective listen for an appreciable period of time. Give minidisc an extended audition in your home with a Sony ES deck, and you might just change your tune. My 'JA555ES had to go in for repair, but it is a fantastic-sounding deck.
Kevin,
Thanks for the info. on the 'JB980 UKSE. That's encouraging news, though I agree that we may not see it here in the US. The fact that the model number contains "UKSE" (United Kingdom Special Edition) does not concern me. Sony has applied that label to many of its bridge series components sold in the UK, and in a number of cases, there has been a US version of these components. Sony also calls this series 'QS' overseas, and the QS label does not appear on US components. So, there could be a 'JB980 in the US without the UKSE and QS labels, but I am not going to hold my breath.
Barton,
My contact at Sony told me the other day that a chassis top for my 'JA555ES is still on back-order (the original was scratched by someone at the Bristol facility). The repair facility in Westwood, MA apparently got in a used chassis top about ten days ago, and they correctly rejected it. So, they are waiting for a new one. Is it possible that Sony uses used parts for some of its repairs? I am beginning to think that is the case. If you recall, my 'JA555ES came back from Bristol the first time with a dent on the front left edge. As a result, I had Bristol replace the front panel piece. When I got the deck back from Bristol the second time, there was an obvious 2" scratch near the recording level knob and smudge marks all over the front panel. Either someone at Bristol screwed up a new front panel or installed a used one. Pathetic.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Both formats are outstanding and I don't think anyone could hear the difference if a proper DBT was set up. My interest lies exclusively in obtaining the best multichannel recordings, period.
So tell me, ChrisA, have you ever done a DBT comparing a MD ATRAC 4.5 recording with the original CD? :)
Your statements disparaging MiniDisc strongly suggest that you have only heard the first few generations of ATRAC, which from what I've read sounded pretty bad. Modern incarnations of the format have improved dramatically.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Keith,
I've been up to date with your case since the "Boo Hoo.." thread. Wishing the best for you and hoping Sony does not get away with their mediocricy. Don't back down! ever! My local Sony dealer and mayor distributor will remember my face and name forever, after the hell I put them through with the JE510 case four years ago, no wonder they replaced the faulty JB940 five months ago with a new one the same day without questions and with a fake smile ;) (remember?) Keep that fist up dude!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Matthew, no typo. I think 90% is pretty good, good enough for me. You have to sit around and compare the original to the recorded carefully to notice it. It's not like it jumps out at you. 90% is an 'A' on my grading scheame. I's loves MD! Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Barton, don't you worry. I am not about to give up my fight with Sony. Ironically, I got a reply card in the mail today from Sony asking me to rate their repair service. They must have sent it out after the Bristol chapter was closed. Maybe they thought the situation had been resolved. Safe to say I am not filling out the card and sending it in just yet. ;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Rachel: the differences between MD and CD (CD-R/RW) don't jump out at you, but they are there.

I would put MD at 95% of the quality of CD/lp, but keeping in mind that I would put a *good* cassette recording (Nakamichi Dragon/CR7A) at 90%.

(Background noise, pre-echo/emphasis, wow/flutter, high frequency "presentation" etc.)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
I take it you've never heard a good metal casette recorded using Dolby-S. :) Sounds incredible. :)

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, I was just wondering...have you spoken to Oade Bros. about this possible development? Usually you can rely on them to give you the skinny. I'd be really surprised if Sony completely abandons the home MD market in the U.S. -- I sure hope they don't, or I might be scrambling to find a decent price on a 'JA333ES while they last!

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
I second Philip, A good metal tape with Dolby S sounds superior by a hair to MD (With a 3-head deck). But tape wear, wow and flutter and the lack of instant access makes MD the winner IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks