What's new

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Just installed my new Sony X800M2 over the Christmas holidays. First thing I noticed, this UHD player is built like a tank, at least when compared to the X700. I don't know how it would compare build-wise to an Oppo but the X800M2 seems pretty solid. I was rather surprised.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just installed my new Sony X800M2 over the Christmas holidays. First thing I noticed, this UHD player is built like a tank, at least when compared to the X700. I don't know how it would compare build-wise to an Oppo but the X800M2 seems pretty solid. I was rather surprised.
I've been fairly happy with my X800M2 players. They are pretty solid, but so was the previous X800.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Todd, I've been quite happy with my X800M2 myself even if it is on our master bedroom setup and not our main theater.

One funny thing about this when connected to the Vizio M55, when the X800M2 powers up, it "grabs" the TV input from whatever input setting you have it on. A little annoying and it was driving my wife bonkers. Probably has to do with the recognition setting on the Vizio TV (the TV recognizes the X800M2 and the Roku).

Interesting.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Was the HDR toggle issue ever addressed with a firmware update? Is it really a crippling issue for the player?

Edit: additionally, to clarify what this problem actually is, if I put in a disc that has HDR10 but no DV, and the player is set to DV, do I still have to switch the setting? Or is it only a problem if the disc has both DV and HDR10, and I want to view it in HDR10?

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Was the HDR toggle issue ever addressed with a firmware update? Is it really a crippling issue for the player?

Edit: additionally, to clarify what this problem actually is, if I put in a disc that has HDR10 but no DV, and the player is set to DV, do I still have to switch the setting? Or is it only a problem if the disc has both DV and HDR10, and I want to view it in HDR10?
I asked my contacts at Sony Electronics as to WHY they did this, and they said it was because Dolby required them to do so. I sounds fishy to me, since every other player that is DV capable on the market is able to auto-sense for DV metadata as long as HDR is turned ON. Bizarre!

To answer your questions:

1. No, this was never addressed in a firmware update (because Sony believes they are doing what Dolby told them to do).
2. Turning DV on will force the player to turn on the DV flag going to your display. So everything will playback with your display thinking it is DV, even when it may be a UHD disc with HDR10 or even a Blu-ray or DVD. So, yes, you will need to go deep into the setup menus to turn DV on and off. Like I said - Bizarre!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks