1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony Introduces Exciting new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Mine has frozen exactly three times -- the last time was a few days ago when watching the UHD of Dunkirk. The first two times, the only way I could "unfreeze" the player was to pull the power plug. This last time, though, the open/close drawer button on my remote still worked, so I ejected the disc, examined it for blemishes (it was clean), and re-inserted it. I was given the option to resume playback from the same spot, which I selected, and the player froze again. I repeated the eject cycle again, started the film from the beginning, and fast forwarded to the spot where it froze. This time the disc played without further incident.

My X-800 has never froze when playing a BD, DVD, SACD or DVD-Audio -- it's only happened with UHD discs, and cannot be repeated with the same disc. Others have reported the same issue, so it is most likely a firmware problem. There have been no firmware updates for the player in awhile, so hopefully Sony has one coming soon to address the issue. Since it's happened infrequently in my case, it has been more of an annoyance than a major issue, but I still would like it fixed.

2. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    Prob not a coincidence when you compare noted issues with playback

Sony and Oppo use MediaTek
    Oppo 203 uses a Sony laser

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Still not freezing but I am having issues with the apps.

The Youtube app rarely opens and the MLB app needs to get an update to the most recent version.

4. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    May have found a fix from someone over on AVS Forum

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aflorida [​IMG]
    Great news!
    I said to myself let me try first on my 800 player:
    Setup > Resetting > Initialize Personal Information
    There are (2) choices to be found here:
    (1) choice will RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS
    and (1) choice will just INITIALIZE PERSONAL INFORMATION
    BEFORE I attempt the dreaded RE-setting of all my setttings BACK to FACTORY DEFAULT and re-entering all my settings (a pain!!!) I said let me choose to INITIALIZE PERSONAL INFORMATION first to see if that works to restore YOU TUBE on my 800
    Because I believe all I had to do is get back to re-starting my YOU TUBE app with the code it gives you to sign on with my laptop to activate your YOU TUBE acct.
    And it worked!
    YOU TUBE is back on my 800 WITHOUT the dreaded re-setting of all my settings/restoring it to FACTORY DEFAULTS.
    All my settings remained and YOU TUBE is back!!!
    The only thing I noticed I have the "older" YOU TUBE version (I had a newer YOU TUBE version that I was just getting familiar with when this dreaded fiasco appeared this week)...now I have YOU TUBE back but the "earlier" version.

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yeah, Sony's internet connections went offline for about a day and a half. Even my regular Sony Blu-ray player wouldn't connect to the net. It's fine now, but it was a bizarre day or so to be sure!

6. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    I'm not sure that was the issue.

All the apps except for YT work.

Unless you're saying YT needs Sony's internets to work.

It's really too bad Sony doesn't allow some way to add apps in a way similar to what a Roku does.

Todd Erwin and B-ROLL like this.
  7. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    The unit I have in the living room froze twice over the weekend while watching The Last Jedi with friends. I had to unplug and replug the unit the first time, the second time corrected itself within a few seconds. The disc was clean. This same player froze earlier in the week while watching Netflix.

As a test, I have inserted a small USB drive in the player in my office (where I screen most of my reviews), and so far it has not locked up. There has been a theory that is is a memory buffer issue causing the lockup, hence the unplug/replug solution. I'm about ready to write a letter to the CEO of Sony Electronics America regarding this player - it's a great unit when it works, but these sporadic random lockups are a pain, and to have Sony support reps continually say it is not a known issue is utter hogwash.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  8. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    I automatically place a usb drive in any new Blu-Ray/UHD player and it still has had the issue ... I may have had a defective copy of Coco (I cleaned the disc and it played more of the parts that it didn't but not all ... I haven't had a chance to check it in another 4k UHD player ...

9. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    A follow up to my YouTube issue. The fix I posted worked and I have YouTube back

10. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Does anyone know whether I can hack or program an older Sony blu-ray player (bdp-6690) to be region free? I see some instructions on the web, but I don't know if that applies to my model. Thanks. If there's another thread for this, let me know.

11. Scott Merryfield

There is a new firmware update for the Sony X-800:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=UBPX800&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

12. Scott Merryfield

As a follow-up to the freezing issue, there was a theory proposed on another forum that it may be a software bug related to background network activity during playback. The suggestion was to turn off most of the settings related to network activity. I did this a few months ago, and have not experienced a player freeze since then. However, since my freeze issue occurred only during playback of UHD discs (not BDs or DVDs), I cannot guarantee this is a fix. I play more BDs and DVDs than UHD discs on the player, simply because I own a lot more of those formats. I do not use the player for streaming, as I have an Apple TV 4K and a very buggy Roku Ultra for that purpose.

I turned off the following network features, all under the Setup menu:
    • Under Network Settings, turned OFF Auto Home Network Access
    • Under Network Settings, turned OFF Remote Start
    • Under System Settings, turned OFF Software Update Notification (you can still check manually)

13. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    I guess I'm the only lucky one who doesn't have a freezing player.

14. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Both units locked up again last week. The living room locked up while watching a movie on Netflix, then again a few days later while watching Ready Player One on 4K UHD Blu-ray during Family Movie Night. My office unit also locked up during Ready Player One, but at a different part of the disc. Sony still denies there are any "known" lockup issues on this player.