1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony Introduces Exciting new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hal Masonberg

Hal Masonberg
    I just bought the X800 and hooked it up to my Epson 5040UB. Both are capable of HDR10, yet it seems intermittent that the HDR signal goes through. I put on THE REVENANT 4K. I checked the Epson and it was listing the color signal as 2020 SDR. I ejected the disc, put it back in, hit play, and this time the Epson read the signal as 2020 HDR with a much improved image. I've tried this several times and it seems to be a total crapshoot whether the signal is coming through as HDR or SDR. Anyone have any thoughts on why this might be happening or if I am doing something wrong? So far no way to know if it's the X800 or the Epson 5040 that is the problem.

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The only problem I can imagine is with the HDMI cable. Have you tried switching it out with another one? I sounds like a handshake issue.

3. Hal Masonberg

Hal Masonberg
    I haven't, but that's my next step. Thanks. Will let you know.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I agree with Matt's suggestion. HDMI cables can be finicky when it comes to 4K and HDR. I am using Monoprice certified high speed cables -- the "certified" is important when it comes to 4k + HDR.

If it's not the cable, are you passing the signal through a receiver or is the X800 directly connected to the projector? If you are going through an AVR, try connecting the player directly to the projector to see if that stabilizes the connection.

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Yep, if you're not using Premium Certified HDMI cables with this logo, it's a total crapshoot as to whether or not they'll hiccup passing 4K UHD:

upload_2017-9-11_7-54-52.png

If you're running your video through an AVR, make sure that ALL of the cables in the chain are Premium Certified.

6. Hal Masonberg

Hal Masonberg
    I've been using the 30FTv2.0 - 30ft High Speed HDMI Cable w/ Ethernet from Visual Apex, which I'm assuming is not certified. That said, I did a firmware upgrade on the Sony and it seems to be working at the moment. Tried the Revenant 4k disc several times and it seems to be consistently reading HDR now. If that stops, I will definitely be upgrading the cable (which I just might do anyway).

I was hoping HDR would come through from Netflix and Amazon and Vudu, but from what I'm reading, they pass their 4k at 60Hz and the Epson only accepts HDR from 24Hz signals at 4:2:2. Until one of those channels starts streaming 4K at 24HZ, I'll have to live with the SDR which, truth be told, looks pretty dang great on this machine.

7. Scott Merryfield

None of the built-in streaming apps on the Sony support HDR at this time as far as I am aware -- I can confirm that for Amazon and Vudu, but I am not a Netflix subscriber. I am using my Roku Ultra for Amazon 4K + HDR10, and the Smartcast app built into my Vizio M70-D3 4K display for Vudu's 4K + Dolby Vision -- although I've only tested that out, as all the UHD material I have on Vudu is from UltraViolet code claims of UHD discs, so I just play the discs. Vudu's current rental prices for UHD material is too high for me.

8. Hal Masonberg

Hal Masonberg
    Does anyone know if any of the streaming services steam HDR at 24Hz 4:2:2. This seems to be the only way my Epson will take streaming HDR.

Attached Files:

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    In Case anyone is still looking to buy this BB has it for $150.
    Plus if you buy an eGC at BB.com you get an additional eGC in december worth $15

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

So I'm dipping my toes into the 4k landscape, I take it, this is the best 4k BD player (sans Dolby Vision, etc) I can buy for under $150 at various online spots nowadays?

11. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    For the money, yes. The LG is way too noisy. The Sony is built like a tank and quiet.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

:banana::thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Scott Merryfield

My first X800 died a few months ago, but Sony replaced it under warranty at absolutely zero cost to me, and the replacement has been fine. I thought it was an excellent player at the $270 I paid for it back in January, so at $150 I do not think you will find a better player. It does a great job up-converting DVDs and BDs, and also supports playback of SACDs and DVD-Audio discs -- a feature you will only find in the Sony and the much more expensive Oppo player.

Brian L likes this.
  14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I happened to be visiting my parents in a nearby state for Thanksgiving, and swung by the local Best Buy this afternoon, and snagged one of these Sony UBP-X800's, as my Best Buy near my place was sold out of them (according to their website), so an early Christmas present to myself, along with the 4K TV from Brown Thurday/Black Friday sales. :)

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  15. Scott Merryfield

I experienced my first player freeze tonight about 75% of the way through the UHD disc of Alien: Covenant. The picture just froze, and the player would not respond to any commands via the remote, nor could I power it off from the front panel. I had to pull the power cord, and then the player came back and we were able to start the film from approximately the same point and finish watching it.

16. Scott Merryfield

I had another player freeze last night when watching the first scene of the UHD disc of Baby Driver. Once again I had to unplug the power to reset the player, and afterwards the disc played all the way through with no issues.

Quite a few people on another forum have been experiencing the same problem, so I think this must be firmware related.

17. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
  18. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Thx for that link!...I just pulled the trigger. I was waiting on a player that would do Dolby Vision BUT my fairly new Sony 75 inch TV is not Dolby Vision so why the bother :)

The TV I have is XBR75x940C. Early 2016 model. I love what it does with Streaming 4K and can't wait to see how it looks with 4K UHD discs.

dpippel likes this.
  19. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I’m currently using my xb1s as my 4k source and I was about to buy the X800 but I’ve been reading so many posts about it freezing even after the firmware update. So now I’m hesitant about buying it.

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I havent had any freezing issues.