Sony Introduces Exciting new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Lead Actor

The Sony is very competitively priced at $300 for a UHD player. That's the same price as the new LG UHD player and last year's Samsung UHD player, much less than last year's Panasonic UHD player, and a little over half the price of the Oppo. It also plays SACD and DVD-Audio discs, which the Samsung, Panasonic and LG do not.

The one thing that the Oppo and LG models have over the Sony is the commitment from the manufacturers to provide Dolby Vision support on those players with future firmware updates. Sony has made no official announcement regarding eventual DV support on its player, although the hardware will support the format.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Lead Actor

There is a new firmware update available for the Sony X-800. It is supposed to address an issue with macro blocking when playing 20th Century Fox BDs, along with other issues. I have been avoiding playing Fox BDs on this player due to the reported issue, using my Panny BD player instead. I just installed the update, so will have to give a Fox BD a spin to see if I encounter any issues.

gadgtfreek likes this.