What's new

Sony Introduces Exciting new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (1 Viewer)

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Never thought I would see films @ home that looked and sounded better than @ a Cinema !!! Though size wise I don't think I will live to see prices to come down. I did have some hope when T.I. said the new 4k chip cost would allow projector makers to sell them @ 1200.00 this year. Greed I Guess happened?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There is a list @ Amazon,but I only could see it with the ROKU Ultra 4k player. Even if you know a title u need the ROKU 4K ? Funny Girl, and L. Of Arabia are listed. L.O.A. will be the first filmed in 70mm to be on 4k! CAN'T WAIT! Also can't wait 4 VISTA VISION on 4k !!! Here we go again.

I have a Roku Ultra. How did you view them on Amazon with the Roku? Do I need a special Amazon app? I have the Amazon Video and Amazon Music apps installed, but nothing else.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
From home screen go down to 4K then pick Amazon, go down to ULTRA H D TO BUY and there you go. Quite a list.
ENJOY !!! watch out r the 5min. short for 24.95??? I have not found these anywhere else !

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I went ahead an ordered the Sony from Best Buy. I had a 10% off coupon for a single item in store purchase this week only. Some people had success ordering a Oppo player through Best Buy's Magnolia "store within a store", but the store I went to wasn't able to order one for me, so I went with the Sony. It should be here on Wednesday.

I was going to setup my Harmony remote for the new player ahead of time, but the UBP-X800 doesn't appear to be in Harmony's database yet. I'll have to wait until the player arrives so I can use the original remote to setup the new device -- unless someone has an idea of another Sony player definition in the Harmony database that works with this player.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Most disc players from the same manufacturer have a common remote control code base. I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you plug the codes from a Sony Blu-ray player released over the past two years into your Harmony it'll work just fine with the X800. There may be certain player-specific functions that you'll have to learn, but the vast majority of the player's basic functionality will be covered, saving you a ton of work.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's what I figured, Doug. I'm just not sure which model to use, as I'm not up on the Sony BD player models. I will probably just wait until the player arrives and see which Sony model Harmony offers up using the original remote . It doesn't take long to add a new device to the Harmony configuration anyway.

I also just realized that both my first SD-DVD and BD players were Sony models, too, so I am 3 for 3 going with Sony when venturing into a new disc format. I think I gave away my original Sony DVD player (it did not even support DTS output), but my original Sony BD player is still in service attached to the TV in our master bedroom.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My new Sony player arrived a day early yesterday. Unfortunately, the installation has not been going well. After getting my Harmony remote programmed and connecting the player up to my Vizio 4K display with a Monoprice certified 18Gbps cable and to my Pioneer Elite AVR with another HDMI cable I had laying around, I could not get any video signal from the Sony on my display. After a lot of troubleshooting and cable swapping, I finally determined the Monoprice cable was defective. So, I proceeded with setting up the player using the cable I originally had connected to my Roku Ultra 4K streaming box.

After getting the Sony setup, I then inserted the John Wick UHD. The disc loads fine and I get 4K video, but now I had a second problem -- no audio. I tried a few things last night (swapped HDMI cables, etc.), but still couldn't get any audio. We were meeting some friends for dinner and I wanted to watch the Montreal hockey game when we got home, so I swapped back the cable with my Roku so I could watch the hockey game when we got home.

This morning I contacted Monoprice to request a RMA for the defective cable, then set out on troubleshooting again. After checking the audio setup for the HDMI ports on my AVR (everything was configured correctly), I swapped HDMI inputs on my AVR to make sure I didn't have a dead input. That wasn't the issue, either. Finally, I tried a SACD recording instead of of the John Wick UHD. This time I was able to get a few seconds of audio at the start of the first track before the AVR lost the audio signal.

So now I am thinking I may need a 18Gbps certified cable for the audio as well as the video? I have tried 3 different non-certified HDMI cables with no success. I do not have any more functioning 18Gb cables on hand to try. I just ordered a couple of 3 ft. cables from Monoprice, as I will need them if I eventually upgrade my AVR anyway. The cables will not be here for 3-6 days, though, so I am stuck with what else I can try in the meantime.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert, the Vizio display is not the issue -- I can get video display fine now that I identified I had a defective Monoprice cable. I am only having issues with the 2nd HDMI output to my Pioneer Elite AVR for audio -- my Pioneer Elite AVR does not support 4K signals. I have tried the Sony's HDMI audio output configuration settings both possible ways -- Auto and HDMI 2. Neither setting changes my results. The third option in the menu is HDMI 1, but that is not valid for my setup, as it would force audio and video out HDMI 1 and send no audio out HDMI 2. The Sony manual, and the back of the player, clearly indicate that HDMI 2 is an audio-only output, and that is the output I am running to my AVR.

All the HDMI cables I have tried between the Sony and AVR are older. They work fine with my 1080p devices. It doesn't make sense that I should need a 18Gbps certified cable for audio-only to an older AVR, but that is the only other thing I can think may be the issue at the moment.

BTW, I am using the same HDMI input on my Vizio display that I used to use for my Roku Ultra 4K box (I moved that to another port). As I said, though, the video displays fine now that I have identified the defective Monoprice cable and swapped it out for a known, working 18Gb cable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, the Vizio display is not the issue -- I can get video display fine now that I identified I had a defective Monoprice cable. I am only having issues with the 2nd HDMI output to my Pioneer Elite AVR for audio -- my Pioneer Elite AVR does not support 4K signals. I have tried the Sony's HDMI audio output configuration settings both possible ways -- Auto and HDMI 2. Neither setting changes my results. The third option in the menu is HDMI 1, but that is not valid for my setup, as it would force audio and video out HDMI 1 and send no audio out HDMI 2. The Sony manual, and the back of the player, clearly indicate that HDMI 2 is an audio-only output, and that is the output I am running to my AVR.
Is there an optical output on the Sony?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I just got back from vacation and my movie code came in yesterday, but Sonys site is jacked up. Code i 12 digits and the site only allows 10 digits LOL.

Also not update still for Amazon that I have seen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just got back from vacation and my movie code came in yesterday, but Sonys site is jacked up. Code i 12 digits and the site only allows 10 digits LOL.

Also not update still for Amazon that I have seen.
Jason,

Can you help Scott out?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Im at a loss there since he said he tried all the configurations in the sony menu for the dual hdmi ports. That was my first guess, I find it odd that it would be a bad cable, but anything is possible I guess.

If the receiver is not even showing getting an audio signal, I wonder if the player port is bad.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Im at a loss there since he said he tried all the configurations in the sony menu for the dual hdmi ports. That was my first guess, I find it odd that it would be a bad cable, but anything is possible I guess.

If the receiver is not even showing getting an audio signal, I wonder if the player port is bad.
That's what I'm wondering?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Thats all I can think. I have not seen anyone else report to having handshake issues yet with the audio port. If new cables dont change the situation, Id swap it for another one.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Sony Introduces Exciting new 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player, Home Audio and Home Theater Devices Designed to Surround Listeners and Viewers with Sound
Sony Electronics - 01/04/2017
[...]

The HT-ST5000, HT-CT800, HT-MT500, HT-MT300 and HT-CT290 sound bars will be available Spring 2017. [...]
Until I am able to purchase my desired 4K panel, I wonder if having the new 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player hooked up to my 1080 screen can produce any known boosts to the picture quality of my standard BD discs?
Also, does anyone know the inches lengths of the Sound Bars?

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is there an optical output on the Sony?

There is a coaxial digital output on the player. That was going to be a next step to make sure the player is outputting audio. However, it would not be a permanent solution, since that connection would not give me Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master-HD audio.

I thought the same thing, but getting a few seconds of audio when I play a SACD tells me that the Sony is outputting audio from the HDMI 2 port.

Since the Pioneer AVR doesn't seem to be locking onto the audio signal (the HDMI light on the front flashes instead of goes on solid as it should), I am thinking it is either the cable or for some reason the AVR doesn't like an audio-only signal on its HDMI inputs. I tried two different HDMI inputs on the AVR, which both work with other devices. However, all my other HDMI sources are sending 1080p video along with the audio signal. I do not have any other devices which can send audio-only out via HDMI to test this theory. The manual for the Pioneer Elite AVR seems to indicate it should work with audio-only sources via HDMI, but I have never tried that until now. The receiver is older, but has the latest firmware -- I upgraded it recently to fix a bug with DTS decoding.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Is there any type of video processing the Pioneer is doing, or scaling, that you could turn off as a test? I just wonder if something in the Elite settings is messing with the handshake.

I may have missed, but maybe a full reset and hard boot could help with the Sony. My Marantz AV7702II was doing something funky with UHD months back, and my wifi was acting up, I did a full network and microprocessor reset on the AVR and it cleared all that up.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Is there any type of video processing the Pioneer is doing, or scaling, that you could turn off as a test? I just wonder if something in the Elite settings is messing with the handshake.

I may have missed, but maybe a full reset and hard boot could help with the Sony. My Marantz AV7702II was doing something funky with UHD months back, and my wifi was acting up, I did a full network and microprocessor reset on the AVR and it cleared all that up.

I just went through all the video and audio settings on the receiver, and I see nothing engaged that should cause an issue.

Performing a full reset and hard boot is a good idea. I'll have to figure out how to do that on the Sony. The only menu item pertaining to this is resetting all the config options to their factory defaults.

If I force audio output thru HDMI 1 on the Sony player, I do get audio via the digital optical connection from the Vizio display back to the AVR. HDMI 1 has always been connected directly to the display in this setup.

I tried the BD disc from the same John Wick UHD / BD set, and a couple of times during the loading process I got a short burst of audio as the disc jumped through the previews and the studio logos, etc. The connection to the AVR dropped quickly each time, though.

I did notice that my receiver will flash the message "NOT SUPPORT" briefly when I play the UHD disc of John Wick (did not notice this until my most recent troubleshooting session) and am using the HDMI 2 output for audio to the AVR. There has to be some sort of handshake issue between the Sony and Pioneer AVR. The only question is whether it's an issue with the HDMI 2 port on the Sony, the HDMI cable, the AVR or a configuration setting somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks