What's new

Sony in September; Gumshoe, Anderson Tapes, New Centurions and much more. (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
According to a poster at DVD Talk, Sony is introducing a new line on September 23, 'Martini Movies' (?!), with the first wave consisiting of:

The Anderson Tapes
The Garment Jungle
The New Centurions
Nickelodeon

Future titles in this line are said to be:

Affair in Trinidad
Getting Straight
Our Man In Havana
The Heat's On
Husbands
I Never Sang for My Father
Five
Vibes
The Comic / Enter Laughing
Nightwing
Gumshoe

Corey

Screenwriter
:D Glad to see Vibes, Affair in Trinidad and The Heat's On. The Mae West catalog is almost done.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I know it's not supposed to be very good, but I've always wanted to see Nightwing. Hope it won't be too long a wait for it.
And it's about time they got around to releasing an R1 of The Anderson Tapes.

actually, after some research it looks like there are quite a few of these that pique my interest. Will definitely be picking up most of the first wave next DD sale.

BTW- you left out $(Dollars) from the first wave...which is another film I've been wanting to see for years.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thank you Robert; my apologies to Bert Finney...

Fox and Warners slow down...and Sony suddenly hit the gas? The world's going mad I tells ya... ;)

walter o

Supporting Actor
Will these be available individually, or as a box set as a "Martini" movie?

Hopefully it wount be overpriced (for a barebone affair) like the earlier Sony catalog titles.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I don't think Nickelodeon even received a VHS release.

Nice to see they're putting some thought into marketing their catalog titles. How about a "Drive-In Movies" line that would include

The Stone Killer
White Line Fever
Shadow of the Hawk
Baby Blue Marine
Drive-In (duh!)
Aaron Loves Angela
The Amsterdam Kill
The Stranger and the Gunfighter

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's hard to imagine anyone swilling martinis during the hardboiled NEW CENTURIONS or THE GARMENT JUNGLE or HUSBANDS. They don't give off a lounge vibe. But Sony is bouncing back, what with its Hammer sets and this new, if curious, promotion.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I think we can all thank Mike Schlessinger at Sony for getting these titles out. Hopefully he can also get them to release

SKATETOWN USA
FAST BREAK
GRAVY TRAIN
BUTTERCUP CHAIN
JOE EGG
DANDY IN ASPIC
HAMMERHEAD
WHEN YOU COMIN BACK RED RYDER
Go BETWEEN
BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Like many others posting, I'll certainly pick up THE ANDERSON TAPES. And, wow, cool to see that FIVE (1951) appears to be in the offing.

I'd like to see some of Sony's "film noir" released in this line. How about:

HUMAN DESIRE
711 OCEAN DRIVE
THE SNIPER
THE LINEUP
THE KILLER WHO STALKED NEW YORK
MURDER BY CONTRACT
UNDERWORLD U.S.A.
TIGHT SPOT
SCANDAL SHEET
PUSHOVER
NIGHTFALL
MAN IN THE DARK
CITY OF FEAR
THE NIGHT HOLDS TERROR
EDGE OF ETERNITY
THE CRIMSON KIMONO
SCREAMING MIMI

Other possibilities:

BEAT THE DEVIL (Sony's superior print)
HEY BOY! HEY GIRL! (The Louie Prima/Keely Smith movie)
DUFFY
THE DEADLY AFFAIR
A PRIZE OF GOLD

On the goofy end of Martini (or Drive-In) fare:

THE LOVE-INS
13 FRIGHTENED GIRLS
ZOTZ!
KISS THE GIRLS AND MAKE THEM DIE
SUPERARGO VS. DIABOLICUS
THEY RAN FOR THEIR LIVES

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My day has just been made! I'm definitely picking up The Garment Jungle, Affair In Trinidad, Our Man In Havana, I Never Sang For My Father, Nightwing and Gumshoe. Other titles range from "eh, maybe" (The Heat's On, Getting Straight) to "No way in Hell!" (Anderson Tapes, Husbands).

Some other Columbia titles on my wish list Salome (Rita Hayworth, Charles Laughton), Pushover (Fred MacMurray, Kim Novak), Gunman's Walk (Van Heflin, Tab Hunter), Operation Mad Ball (Jack Lemmon, Ernie Kovacs), Autumn Leaves (Joan Crawford, Cliff Robertson).

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE KEY, TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT, KNOCK ON ANY DOOR, 10 RILLINGTON PLACE, FIVE AGAINST THE HOUSE, PHFFFT, A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, THE DARK PAST/BLIND ALLEY, YOUNG WINSON, MISS GRANT TAKES RICHMOND/HER HUSBAND'S AFFAIRS, THE FULLER BRUSH MA/THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL, THE NOTORIOUS LANDLADY, THESE ARE THE DAMNED, THE CRIMINAL CODE, FULL OF LIFE, THE MAGIC CARPET, THE LIBERATION OF L.B. JONES, THE JUGGLER, THE SNIPER, THE FOURPOSTER, FOOLS' PARADE, THE DETECTIVE (FATHER BROWN), YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM IT, SEVEN WAVES AWAY, THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING, TOO MANY HUSBANDS/THREE FOR THE SHOW, JOHNNY O'CLOCK, SIGN OF THE RAM, A THOUSAND AND ONE NIGHTS, THE GUILT OF JANET AMES, SHOCKPROOF, ISHTAR, THE FORTUNE, CRIME AND PUNISHMENT, THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN, ME AND THE COLONEL, THE LINE-UP, MURDER BY CONTRACT. TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH, TOGETHER AGAIN, NONE SHALL ESCAPE, MY SISTER EILEEN (1942), THE HEROES OF TELEMARK, A TIME FOR KILLING, LET'S DO IT AGAIN, PENDULUM, THE MAD ROOM/LADIES IN RETIREMENT, 13 WEST STREET, PEPE, MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, SONG WITHOUT END/A SONG TO REMEMBER, THE LADY IS WILLING, SCANDAL SHEET, THE DOCTOR TAKES A WIFE. They can call it "Beer and Jalapeno Dip" if they want. This is Great News!!! and the Columbia prints that TCM has been showing look like they're in pretty good condition.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
VIBES !!!!!!! YES !!!!!!! NOW PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But not too soon in case i find that rare VHS i can sell on ebay to pay for the DVD and a few gallons of gas to drive to the store to pick up the DVD.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in for I Never Sang For My Father. Haven't seen it for 25+ years, but I remember thinking it was quite good at the time. Of course I was much younger then, and not nearly the discriminating film snob I am today! :)

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano

================================================== =

The Stone Killer is perhaps one of Charles Bronson's best movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks