Sony in general and 755

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris BW, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Chris BW

Chris BW Auditioning

I'm looking to buy a new DVD player very soon, replacing a Toshiba 1600 that has been great. I'm looking to go progressive this time, although I won't have an HDTV till probably fall 2003. I've narrowed down my choices to basically the Sony 755/715 and Toshiba 3800/4800. I don't need SACD or DVD-A, but the player *must* be black. (bye bye 715) So I will consider a higher model just to get the black color.
    I was ready to buy the Toshiba 3800 until I played with the remote. The user interface (on screen) seems very unfriendly compared to the 1600 I had (no simple display of elapsed or remaining time!!). I started looking around and the Sony 755 seems to be another possible contender: progressive, 12/108 (!), etc, etc. I haven't been able to find one in a store yet to even see the remote or how the user interaction is, but I'm wondering if there are any reviews out there or what people think of it. I have done a search on this forum and read several posts.
    I was surprised to see that no Sony DVD player has zoom! Is this true? If I was watching a 2.35:1 movie on my 1600 I could zoom in once and it would fill up the screen a bit more without losing much picture, or if you wanted to see something up close you could do that. Does Sony have some other "feature" that compensates for this? I'm not too worried about the chroma bug, as long as Sony/Toshiba aren't the worst out there, so if you have any experiences with either of these please post.
    Thanks for any input,
    Chris [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, as far as I know, no Sony DVD players have a zoom feature. The 'NS755V looks to be a nice component for the money. Although you said it doesn't matter, believe me, SACD makes the 'NS755V a real bargain at $250. That said, Sony players have a history of showing the chroma bug, and I believe the 'NS755V "keeps up the tradition". However, that is not to say that the picture quality is necessarily bad. The 'NS755V has been discussed here a bit in the past, so do a search for more information.
    Two other players to consider for similar money are the Panasonic DVD-RP62 and 'RP82. The 'RP82 costs a bit more and throws in DVD-Audio. There may be a difference in picture quality, but I am not sure. Panasonic players do not show the chroma bug. For more on these Panasonic models, go to www.crutchfield.com .

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

4. Chris BW

Chris BW Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Keith, I did take a look at Panasonic, but the RP62 only has optical digital out and I already have an expensive digital coax cable as the Toshiba 1600 did not have an optical connection. Why can't manufacturers just include both optical and coax connections! [​IMG] I haven't ruled out going optical and buying another cable... And as you said the RP82 is just in silver... Over the years you get all these black components and they match nicely, and anything silver will just stand out like a sore thumb.
    Anyone with a Sony actually miss the zoom feature?

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

My Panasonic RP91 also does not have a zoom feature. I kind of miss the great zoom that my old Toshiba 2109 had.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, no problem. I can deal with just having a coaxial digital output, but a pet peeve of mine is when manufacturers only provide an optical digital output. For that reason, I can understand why you are not enthused with the 'RP62. Still, it doesn't show the chroma bug, so you might want to consider it.
    I have a Sony DVP-C670D carousel DVD/CD changer from a couple of years ago (no progressive-scan output), and I have never missed the zoom feature. [​IMG]

7. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

The 755 is the third Sony player I've owned, so the OSD is something I'm used to. The remote is a bit different from the other two, though. Picture quality is a noticable improvement over my old 560D on my 53HS10 RPTV, mainly due to the progressive output I suppose. I'm going to be changing gear cabinets in the next week or so, so I haven't hooked up the 5.1 connection to try SACD yet.

I've never had a "zoom" feature on a DVD player, so I don't miss having it. I don't think I'd use it if I had it, though.

In general I like the player a lot. And the fact it was black made it easier to buy - I just HATE the appearance of the silver Panasonic and Sony players. I bought a silver SVHS deck last year because it was the only one I liked the features of, but it just looks UGLY with all my other black components.

Drop me a line if you have a specific questions about the 755.

Peter

8. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the 755 for 250.oo primarily for MP3 playback - the only thing I do not like so far is that it can not random play the MP3 tracks on a disk. The multichanel SACD sampler that came with the player sounds pretty good but I would like to find some multichanel SACD versions of music I know well to get a better idea of how SACD compares to standard format CD's (not enough titles). Menu navigation is about the same as my old DVP-530D - you can not adjust some items on the fly, remote is small and a bit difficult to read in average lighting - buttons are not back lit. Picture using S-vid or component out - interlaced is good on my Toshiba non-HD RPTV. Internal DTS-DD decoders sound like they do about the same as my Outlaw 1050's using the 5.1 direct on the receiver. So far I like the unit, but I do have a 60 day return window. Unit closest in price was a Toshiba @ 300.oo with DVDA and MP3 playback - I did not get the model. Player was purchased at Sound Advice. ( Tweeter now owns this company - located in FL )

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I also have the Sony 755 and I did buy it for the SACD capability. I have really enjoyed what I have heard so far. I've only owned Sony DVD players so I can't help with a comparison. I have been very pleased with the two Sony's I have owned.

10. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I'm on my third Sony now, and have no complaints. The user interface is very easy to use and second nature now.

I can't imagine ever using a zoom button when watching a film. It would completely destroy the film's composition, which is much more important to me than filling my TV screen.

Adam

11. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit