What's new

sony htib"mini" vs bose "lifestyle" integrity vs. commision (1 Viewer)

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
O.K.,
Here goes.......I have in my store the sony system w/ the satelite speakers ,built-in dvd player(available in single or 5-disc variety), at @ $500- $600 . I also have the bose lifestyle systems w/ built-in CD PLAYER (single or 6-disc) at substantially more money .Can you guess which I think is better?...Now, I sell higher -end equipment (mostly in- home and by appointment), but am not an audio snob , I seek to bring some measure of quality to every customer ,regaurdless of their budjet. when I poke my head out of the main audio rooms in my store ,however ,I will wait on people who are often looking for "cute" integrated systems with tiny speakers (you can guess which partner "really" wears the pants)and here begins my dilemma ...The bose ,despite their cost vs. quality, are much easier to sell and most people don't want you to pull the wool(bull) out of their eyes. SO, I would appreciate some feedback on why the bose systems are really worth all the extra money so I can sleep at night ...has anyone else done side-by-sides with these two systems? opinions please!

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
Bose does an incredible job of marketing. They know exactly who their customer is.
I've given this a lot of thought as I was not able to talk two friends (one a relative) out of buying the Bose for something better that was cheaper.
Both of these people are "professionals". The money was not an object. Also, like you mentioned the WAF takes over and the need to hide speakers becomes the most imortant criteria.
The Bose badge is a status symbel that people where like they would a designer clothes label.
Immagine the conversations at the country club.
"We just had a new surround sound system installed."
"Bose?"
"Of course."
"They are just so cute?!"
If they said names like Josef Audio or Lexicon, there would be blank stares.
Get where I'm going here? It's like putting on a Rolex.
All it does is tell time, just like every other watch. Except this watch says, "I have money".
Same with the Bose system. They are to impress those who don't know. And you know what? It does.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
The Bose Lifestyle systems are packaged well and have a better finish and build quality than Sony "Dream Systems", which, BTW, features DTS, DD, and SACD. But, for my money, I would rather spend as little as possible on a HTIB. Although your friends might be very slightly more impressed with the Bose, they won't guess that it runs 4-7 times more than the Sony Dream System.
Elbert

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Actually ,I'm not so sure your "country club" comparison is apt. I find that the Rolex is for the "new money" that knows no better and that the country club crowd SHOULD know better. I've done some systems for some pro athelites and, even as young as they are ,usually someone has told them (or they have investigated on their own) what does constitute good audio. What astounds me though is that ,as hard as it seems at times to convince some people to spend a little more to get a lot better equipment ,it seems impossible to show them an obviously inferior, more expensive product!...by the way I like my Patek Phillipe

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Integrity will win out everytime vs. commision. All commision does is get you more money. Integrity will let you know that you've done a good job and you will not feel guilty afterwards. It offers a sense of pride in knowing you did the best job you could do.
Bose are strictly known by reputation. The reputation that was made in the 60s and 70s. They wouldn't stand a chance against similarly priced speakers from other companies.
You can sleep at night peacefully knowing you sold the customer what they wanted. The decision is up to them. Now, I'd love to see the $4,000 Bose Lifestyle LS50 (w/remote)system against a marble nOrh 4.0 package/SVS 20-39PC/Outlaw 1050/Panasonic RV-91 system. Wonder which one would sell more? My guess is the wives would love the classy marble look of the nOrhs vs. the cuteness of the Bose. It may be Bose but ask them to say which one sounds better. There is something to be said for DBTs.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
If the customer is satisfied with the Bose product and not open to other options then your job is done. The fact that you worry about this speaks volumes about your integrity. And besides, it is (remotely) possible that they really do prefer the Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks