What's new

Sony HT-DDW840 (1 Viewer)

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I'm new here and had a question about the Sony HT-DDW840. I have it hooked up to a Toshiba 65" wide screen t.v. and a Apex AD-660 dvd player. I bought this system (the HT-DDW840) a few months ago and have been pretty happy with it. Lately though I have been wishing for more bass, as some movies at loud volumes tend to overwhelm the subwoofer included in this package. Now I realize that since this home theater package was only $400.00 that it will have limitations but I was wondering if I could perhaps buy a larger sub, and if so would that help? Or should I look for some other factor other then size? I'm guessing that most subs have the same connections so they should work with my receiver. Has anyone ever upgraded the sub with this unit? If so I look forward to hearing how you made out.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I have this same system and I am fairly happy with the amount of bass from it. Does it just not seem loud enough or is the sub starting to garble/distort? How big is your room? Mine is pretty small - I could see how there could be problems in a larger room. Have you tried turning up the subwoofer settings on the reciever? You also may want to try playing with the subs location.

Some DVD players seem to have problems with putting out an LFE signal that is too low compared to the regular channels, but I do not know if yours is one of them.

I have upgraded some of the speakers but not the sub. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. Most of the better subs cost more than the entire system. Sony has a 12" sub that people seem to like - the SA-WM40. It isn't very expensive but I don't know how much of a step up it would be from the kit sub.

Mark

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
The room is approx. 12x12. The problem is the sub starting to garble/distort at high (not excessive) volumes in movie scenes with a lot of bass. Like you I am fairly happy with this system, just looking to improve the low end. You can never have too much bass in my opinion. : )

I am curious though about your upgrading the surround speakers. Were you not happy with them? What did you upgrade them to?

Btw thanks for the reply

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I can't really say there was anything in particular I was unhappy with. I guess I am the kind of person who is never satisfied with anything so I wanted to upgrade.

I upgraded the center speaker to a JBL S-CenterII and I upgraded the L&R with a pair of JBL S-36II's. I think the center channel speaker has made a nice improvement but I don't see a whole lot of difference with the L&R speakers, at least for watching movies. I do notice an improvement when listening to 2 channel stereo.

Is your sub sitting on carpet or on a hard surface? Mine was on carpet and I noticed an improvement in volume and tightness of the bass when I put some spiked feet on it. I also found putting some weight on top seemed to help.

Mark

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
It is sitting on carpet. Maybe I'll try the spiked feet. Doesn't sound expensive, and it can't hurt right? Btw I have looked into the SA-WM40... it seems to get a lot of good reviews. The lowest price I have seen for it is a very reasonable $134.99. I think I'll starting saving some money for that. By saving some money I mean hiding some money from the wife! : )

One more question if you don't mind Mark. Our sub only has an "input" connection on the back whereas the SA-WM40 has a line in, line out, and several speaker inputs. I assume that the "line in" is the same as the "input" connection on our sub, and possibly the line out would let you connect another sub? I have no idea what the "speakers" connection is for, although since there are 4 of them I assume that you connect the surrounds here instead of to the reciever. Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am after all a newbie. : )

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Don't worry about it. Hey, I am still a newbie too!

I think the speaker inputs are if you want the sub to augment speakers in a system that does not have a dedicated subwoofer output. I could be wrong, though.

At what settings do you find distortion to sometimes occur? I usually have my sub set at about 12 oclock, and the reciever at around 30 or so when watching movies. But when I have the house to myself I have turned the sub up to about 3 oclock and the reciever to 40. Maybe I am not noticing the distortion.

Mark

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
I have the sub turned all the way up as far as it will go. I really like a lot of bass, in my movies and in my music. I guess I just expect too much from this size sub, especially since the whole system was only $400. I still think this system was a bargain and would recommend it to anyone. I'll probably wind up just getting the bigger sub. If I do I'll let you know how it goes.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Yes if you get the new SW definatly let me know how you like it. Maybe I will buy your old one!

I just got an SPL meter and I am going to do some experiments on subwoofer volume with and without spikes. I will let you know how much of an effect it really has.

Mark

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The '40 would be the next logical step up and an obvious inprovement over the sub included in the package (the '20, right? 8"? ). My neighbor has that system - it works fine, yes, but once you get a taste of bass you just want more. The '40 will do that for you.

Welcome to the machine.

6 months after the '40 comes home, you'll be on the hunt for better mains / centers.

Have fun!

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Yes the included sub does have an 8" speaker I believe. I don't have any complaints about the surrounds or the center speaker yet, but as you said I'll probably wind up upgrading the other speakers as well eventually. And then a new receiver, and then a better dvd player and then... who knows? : )

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Yeah I paid $350 at best buy.

The sub that comes with it looks like the SA-WM20 but it is rated at 100W (instead of 50) and has no crossover controls.

I played around with the SPL meter and found no difference in sound levels with or without spikes. Maybe it was just in my head. The spikes did seem to tighten the bass a little but I have no way of objectivly measuring that.

How do you guys like the remote? It took me a while to figure it out but now that I have I like it. If it only worked the on-screen guide on my cable box I could use it as my only remote!

Mark

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm... I only use the remote to control volume during dvds so I haven't given it much thought. I use my cable system remote all other times.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
the remote does not do some stuff for me, like direct channel picking for my tv.

alos switch from tv to video, i have to use my jvc tv remote to make these happen.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
You should be able to input TV channels directly. You need to press the "ALT" button so it lights up and then enter the numbers using the number printed next to the black buttons near the ALT button - they say stuff like Jump/time, audio, etc which is what they usually do but if you press ALT you can use them to change channels directly.

The unit can switch video but only composite video. My TV only uses composite so I use the reciever to switch the video. But if you can use Svideo or component than you would have to use the TV to switch.

Mark

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Thats wierd - it works for mine. Maybe try different codes? The channel up/down worked for a couple of the possible codes for my cable box but the numbers only worked with one code.

Mark

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I just ordered the SA-WM40 from Crutchfield, should have it in a few days. I'll post more info when it arrives. I hope it is as good as the reviews make it out to be! : )

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
i have 2 sawm40s, i got em both for about 230 dollars total

they are wonderful subs, and you can find them as low as 100 dollars. i havent heard the 840 sub, but i have heard the sawm20 sub and the difference between the two subs are night and day.

for the price its an excellent sub, and i think itll be a noticeable improvement over your 8 inch stock sub.

regarding the line in and stuff, dont worry about it, its the same thing. just connect you sub out form the back of the receiver to the line in and you're all set.

the line out is for daisy chaing an additional sub, personally what i did was buy a y splitter for the sub out on the back of the receiver and conected both subs via y splitter. (1 male/2 female connectors)

if you want a lot of bass, you can always experiment by connecting your stock 8" sub in addition to your sawm40 :), just work on placement a bit, since cancellation issues may result. and i dont know whther or not it would be beneficial, you dont know with situstions like that unless you try them out yourself.

on a side note, the sawm40 also comes with manual frequncy cutoff alonside the volume control and a 180 phase switch

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really looking forward to hearing this sub, it has received lots of good reviews at audioreview.com but Crutchfield called me today to tell me that they didn't have any after all, even though when I ordered it last night it was listed as in stock. :frowning: I just placed an order with a different vendor so hopefully I'll have it within the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks