What's new

Sony HT A9 (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I really wish I would have waited before I went wire/speaker crazy for my Atmos setup. I'd sell all of it but that is a logistical nightmare, not to mention mid grade second hand audio gear is usually worth next to nothing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Pretty nifty. I am definitely a fan of this for your average user who doesn't want to calibrate/nerd out.

The challenge for me is the price point - I wonder what percentage of folks will invest in this level of setup?
Powered speakers (the good ones) have always sounded great to me Good audio is good audio. I think this is a great idea, and hope more and more companies going forward follow the lead.

Tseg

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Segletes
I got my HT-A9 about a week ago and my SW5 subwoofer is to arrive next week.
  • Clean aesthetics
  • Fantastic sound and "immersion sound bubble" at moderate to high volume, even without the subwoofer
  • A9 system without subwoofer has a lot of punch, just not that low level rumble
  • At low sound levels it is good, but rather unremarkable
  • The loudest I listen to it is 65 out of 100 and it shakes the house during action scenes, even without a subwoofer
  • The A80J as center channel is fantastic... there is great voice clarity. For me, the TV sound tone melts in with the other 4 speakers... it is not oddball sounding
  • No regrets
Now the rest of the story:
  • There are a number of settings I had to get right on the A9, my A80J TV and my 4K player to ensure Atmos or whatever the highest quality sound offering every time
  • A lot of the reviews imply an easy setup... it is an easy setup to get sound out of the speakers, but to ensure Atmos or 7.1 or 5.1 (depending on the best offered from what is being watched) in not automatically reconfigured across all systems
  • It has taken me about a week to get all my settings right, now that I finally have deep-dived into all my settings across all my equipment... I can envision people buying this and completely missing out on proper setup

DVD1968

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Van Damme
I got my HT-A9 about a week ago and my SW5 subwoofer is to arrive next week.
  • Clean aesthetics
  • Fantastic sound and "immersion sound bubble" at moderate to high volume, even without the subwoofer
  • A9 system without subwoofer has a lot of punch, just not that low level rumble
  • At low sound levels it is good, but rather unremarkable
  • The loudest I listen to it is 65 out of 100 and it shakes the house during action scenes, even without a subwoofer
  • The A80J as center channel is fantastic... there is great voice clarity. For me, the TV sound tone melts in with the other 4 speakers... it is not oddball sounding
  • No regrets
Now the rest of the story:
  • There are a number of settings I had to get right on the A9, my A80J TV and my 4K player to ensure Atmos or whatever the highest quality sound offering every time
  • A lot of the reviews imply an easy setup... it is an easy setup to get sound out of the speakers, but to ensure Atmos or 7.1 or 5.1 (depending on the best offered from what is being watched) in not automatically reconfigured across all systems
  • It has taken me about a week to get all my settings right, now that I finally have deep-dived into all my settings across all my equipment... I can envision people buying this and completely missing out on proper setup
Would you mind sharing your custom settings for your A9 and A90J? I have the A80J and expect the HT-A9 to arrive next week. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks