Sony HS10 - Mounting Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Nguyen, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Mark Nguyen

Mark Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I am in the process of finishing my basement as a dedicated HT and the HS10 is on ordered. The problem I have is I am not sure where I need to mount it so I can't pre-run the electrical and DVI cable yet and I am about ready to do the drywall.

From the throw distance excel sheet, it says 16ft - 19ft if I am shooting it on a 128" screen. What I like to know from you guys is if I mount it at 20ft would I lose any picture quality? What is the effect of mounting it at 20ft? Is mounting it further back better or closer better? My sitting area is at about 17 or 18ft and would like to have the projector behind me. Btw, the length of the room is 45ft so I have plenty of room ... [​IMG]

Thanks a lot.
    Mark

2. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Mark, use the excel sheet as the guide line for the distance from the screen surface to the lens. Work your calculation on where the mount/power will be based on the distance from the center of the mount on the projector to the lens. If the throw chart say's 16-19ft for your screen size the optimum place to put it is dead center of the range or for you 210" or 17.5'. That way you have max travel in and out on the projectors zoom lens. If you put the projector further back and there isn't enough travel on the zoom lens you will over shoot the screen and the image will be too big. Hope this helps.

Randy

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Dittoing what Randy has posted, if the 16'-19' range is accurate for the image size you need, then you cannot mount the projector any farther than this (from the perspective of lens to screen). As Randy said, if your mount is centered at 20', it's possible that the lens is a foot or more closer, which would be OK. If the lens is too far away, the image will be too large, even at its minimum zoom. Note that if your screen surface is a couple of inches off the wall, this distance may also help get within the 19' limit.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Better to always be closer to the minimum zoom point than the maximum zoom point and have the projector mounted further away. The closer the projector is to the screen, the more variance there is between the light reaching the centre of the screen, and the light reaching the outer edges of the screen because of the angle of travel. At closer mounting distances, the light travelling to the centre of the screen from the projector compared to the light travelling to the outside parts of the screen are at greater angles from each other and so this can introduce more hotspotting in the middle and darker areas around the outer part of the screen. Moving the projector further back and reducing the zoom yields a more "even" light dispursement.