Sony HS10 banding fix?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Anderson, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Matt Anderson

Matt Anderson Auditioning

I've had my sony hs10 for about a year. I've read about the banding problem but haven't been able to find an official fix for this. Is there any?
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. Mike Emery

Mike Emery Auditioning

There is a fix, involving some changes to values in the service menu.
    If you're still under warranty (actually, even if you're not.... since it's an engineering/manufacturing defect) call Sony's service center at 800-222-7669 and request a service call to correct the factory defect.
    Some units of the 16:9 xxXBR10W also exhibits banding. I would think that the same fix would be applied...

3. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

4. Mike Emery

Mike Emery Auditioning

Right, I forgot about that (must be some merciful mental mechanism at work!)
    They may also change a small "chip" capacitor (which sometimes doesn't help, either!)
    Doesn't hurt to call.

5. Matt Anderson

Matt Anderson Auditioning

Thanks for the info guys! I remember these being discussed earlier on. I didn't want to react right away incase of any side effects and lack of expertise on my end to know any better [​IMG] I was hoping if I waited it out that sony would eventually have the problem solved.. apparently not [​IMG] Hopefully they'll send someone who knows what they're doing and more importantly has anyone EVER had any ILL effects from getting either of the "work arounds" (thanks sony) done?
    Thanks!
    Matt

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Does anyone know if the fix was incorporated into later production models of the HS-10, or in the new HS-30 models?
    Good Guys here in CA has the HS-10 marked down to $2199, and a 4/3 set that squeezes would be the perfect solution for my particular needs.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

7. Fred B. Humphrey

Fred B. Humphrey Auditioning

I have the Sony HS10 and have heard of this problem.
    What is it exactly? How do you tell if you 'have' it?
    Is it a subtle problem? Or does it affect only some sets? I've never noticed anything wrong with my 1 year old set. Thanks. Fred.