Sony HS or XBR model?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Aug 16, 2001.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

I'm out for a 32" TV. I was going ot get a FS13 but my wife likes the look of the FV27 better (though I don't need the stupid speakers). Next my wife wants me to get something that is a little future proof (gotta love it when they say that) so I'm looking for something that is capable of progressive scan and maybe HDTV as well.
    Sony's site isn't that up to date and I get a little crazed trying to compare things on there. Can anyone tell me what the real difference is between the HS series and the XBR series when looking at a 32" TV?
    Thanks
    ------------------

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The primary difference between the two is the XBR tube and the 3:2 pulldown -
    quote: The key is Sony's CineMotion™ 3-2 pulldown technology, which minimizes digital picture imperfections created when 24-frame-per-second film is converted to 30-frame-per-second video for TV viewing. (Most DVDs are originally shot on film, as are most broadcast, cable, and satellite TV programs.)[/quote]
    I, personally, could not justify the extra $800 for the XBR over the standard WEGA I bought, KV32FV26, as the picture quality is already quite good on this one. Though I can see a difference in picture quality when viewing progressive scan DVD on both the HS and XBR. The 16:9 squeeze done by the regular WEGAs for DVD is sufficiently clear for my needs though. Only the HS and XBRs will accpet progressive/HD input.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 16, 2001 at 03:26 PM]
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 16, 2001 at 03:28 PM]

3. GaryM

GaryM Agent

The extra cost for the XBR models are in the CRT and deflection yoke and electronics. The digital ready sets capable of progressive scan have 31.5Khz and higher variable sweep frequencies, while the analog models have fixed 15.75 Khz sweep as have all analog TVs since day one.
    Consider the dates when you make your decision. A TV could last 5-15 years depending on hours of use and quality. My last Sony (a 27" composite video monitor in a surround sound system) lasted 12 years under heavy use. I replaced it two years ago with an analog WEGA the first year they were out. Since then I've added an HD-capable monitor.
    The dates you care about are 2003 and 2006. Congress mandated with the ATSC standard that all stations be broadcasting digital signals in all markets by 2003. Those stations that can't afford to duplicate practically all the broadcast equipment they own to transmit all programming in both analog and digital format must drop off the air and come up with a digital signal in 2003 - if you have an analog TV then, there's a missing channel. In 2006, all analog broadcasting must cease and all your channels will be missing.
    Most people don't actually believe in these dates - they think that because most people don't presently own HDTVs, the schedule has to slip and the dates have to change. Sorry but it doesn't work that way - part of balancing the Federal budget and creating a phony budget "surplus" was selling the current VHF TV band to various wireless service providers, who have been gleefully erecting transmitting towers and orbiting satellites and building an infrastructure to use the present TV bands beginning in 2006. Need I mention that these companies own more Congress critters and Senators than individual TV viewers? It IS going to happen on time.
    There will be boxes costing $200 and up which will "down convert" high definition signals to standard definition - kiss your analog WEGA's fancy features goodby and use it as a dumb video monitor, while using the remote for the box. Then buy another such box for every VCR, every TiVo or ReplayTV, and every other TV set you own, and forgo any special features they might have as well.
    Or you could start now to plan for the new HDTV standard and make the transition less painfull. It is up to you.
    Gary

4. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice Gary. That is exactly what my wife says, though not with the actual data to back it up. This is why I'm looking at a HDTV/progressive scan set now.
    You mention digital and analog sets. Are either the HS or the XBR digital sets?
    [Edited last by David Sorenson on August 19, 2001 at 11:25 AM]

5. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

Both the XBR and HS are High Definintion Ready/ Monitors. They need a set top decoder in order to show an actual HD picture. I would agree that the HS is probably a better buy.