What's new

Sony Home Theater, Sound lapses through coax cable! (1 Viewer)

smiley1635

Auditioning
Real Name
Alastair
I have a Sony surround sound system.

When I am watching a DVD with audio coming through my coax cable (5.1) it sounds great but occassionally the sound lapses. This does not happen through Stereo input.

Its not interference because I am using a gold plated anti interference cable. I also have another standard coax cable and the same problem happens.

Could there be dirt in it? Maybe the cable and input are not making a good connection?

Any advice?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Alastair. Welcome to HTF! :)

Occasional drop-outs in sound with a coaxial-digital connection are often caused by people using an "Audio" cable instead of a "Video" cable. The SPDIF specification calls for a "75 ohm" coaxial cable because the engineers who wrote the spec knew that all video cables are made with 75 ohm coax.

Go buy a inexpensive video cable (usually with a yellow RCA plug) and try it. The Radio Shack "MegaCable" and the AR Pro2 line from Sears/BestBuy are some of my favorite brands for these signals.

Hope this helps.

smiley1635

Auditioning
Real Name
Alastair
Ah! I am using an Audio Coax cable I believe. Think I have some yellow video RCA cables somewhere. Will try it out

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Don't use cheap unsheilded video cables. I got a Monster 6 ft video cable from Circuit City for $12 and it works very well. Using standard RCA cables could very easily cause those dro-outs because the brandwidth is to limited.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
True, but a 75ohm, coax cable is not at all the same as an RCA cable. And if I recall correctly the point about coax is that it the outer portion of the coax does indeed provide protection for the inner portion.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Yes. As long as the package says "Video" or "Coaxial Digital" or "75 ohms", it should be compatible for your coaxial-digital connection.

PrisonerSix

Auditioning
Real Name
John Drake
I am having a similar problem with my Magnavox TV and Pioneer VSX 515 reciever. I have the TV connected to the receiver using a digital coax SPDIF cable purchased from Ram Electronics. Whenever I try to watch digital TV channels with Dolby Digital audio, the audio drops out alot regardless of digital channel or if it's broadcast or cable. It doesn't do this at all on analog channels. I've tried 2 different cables and nothing has helped.

I also have a Panasonic DVD player which connects to the reciever via optical cable and I can watch movies in 5.1 surround just fine without any audio cutting out.

Did you find the solution to your problem yet? I've only had this TV a short time, and it's really frustrating. When I try to watch TV and just use the built in speakers, the audio doesn't cut out at all.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I wonder if it's the same problem you are having.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks