Sony help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by CalvinCarr, Jan 24, 2004.

1. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

The Sony KDF-60XBR950 has an Integrated ATSC Tuner. Does this mean it will give me Hi Def pictures through cable without any other boxes?

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Nope, it means you can receive over the air HD broadcasts without a set top box to decode them. Cable companys encode their signals using a different method which your ATSC tuner won't be able to decode - you need their box.

Jim L
    [​IMG]

3. CalvinCarr

So I have to hook up an antenna to that and also a box for the cable? Since I get local stations on cable do I really need that built in tuner?

4. CalvinCarr

Has anyone heard of any problem with the display?

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Calvin,

If your cable company carries your local HD channels, you don't need the set's internal digital tuner or an antenna, just use the cable box. If your cable company does not carry HD locals, you will need to connect an antenna to the set and use the set's internal digital tuner to receive the local HD channels.

In most markets there are some channels that broadcast digitally but not in HD and these usually aren't carried by cable companies. Also some locals broadcast multiple channels on their digital feed, usually one HD feed and one or more SD feeds with news or weather. The extra channels are generally called subchannels. In most cases the HD feed will carry a channel number like 30.1, with subchannels on 30.2, 30.3. Most cable systems that do carry the main HD channel do not carry these subchannels but you will get them over the air.