What's new

SONY HDTVs (1 Viewer)

Victor_W

Agent
Hi all,

I am intrested in getting a new TV. I have been looking at the Sony's HDTV, just because I can get them at a very good deal. I was just wondering what are some thoughts of these Sony's below:

Sony WEGA KV-34XBR800
Sony WEGA KV-36XBR800
Sony WEGA KV-36HS500
Sony WEGA KV-34HS510

IS it really worth going to XBR over the others? What's the biggest difference? Also the HS510s are new, anyone have an idea as to how good these tvs are suppoesd to be?
Should I opt for a Rear Projection, even though I will be playign video games on it?

I am planning to use this TV for watching DVDS, watching normal programming and playing video games.

Thanks ahead of time for your responses,

Vic

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Not sure how this affects those models, but you want an HDTV that allows custom-calibration for each and every video-input. VHS, LD, DVD, HD, and DSS may all require different settings and adjustments to make them look their best. Many sets only offer one "master setting" that is global so be sure.

Also, might want a set that offers 3-2 pulldown when converting interlaced to 480I and one that allows for aspect-ratio adjustment when receiving a 480P input directly.

Check those questions against all those sonys...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Sonys don't let you store specific settings on a per-input basis. They do allow you to store 4 sets of custom settings selectable via one button on the remote.

I haven't had any problem with this setup on my Sony in the 19 months I've owned it. Picture stays very consistent from source to source even without changing picture modes anyway, so the per-input thing is a non issue for me.

I've stored different settings under each of the 4 pic modes mainly for use under different ambient light conditions.

I'm running analog cable, HD and regular DirecTV-satellite, and progressive scan dvd.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Toshiba makes a better cheaper set in my opinion, great grey scale out of the box. and a far superior line doubler especially when viewing cable and other crappy surces, check one out its worth it.

JasonRH

Second Unit
I agree with John, you should definately check out competing Toshiba models before you make a decision.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My Sony is a KP57HW40 widescreen rptv.

Sony's setup menu characteristics and features are pretty much the same throughout the line.

I went with an rptv because it gives greater bang for the buck as far as screen size, and I can exercise some ambient light control in my room.

For the price of a 34" widescreen direct view one can get a 47" to 51" widescreen rptv.

Of course due to the off-center dimming characteristics and desirability of a less than blinding ambient light in the viewing room rptvs aren't for everyone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got the 36HS500. I considered the XBR model, but decided I needed to stay at my $2000 budget. The extra picture controls of the XBR looked useful, but I didn't think they were worth $300.

As others said, the Wega's have a built-in line doubler and I believe the 3:2 pulldown feature. It has four video settings that can be customized and easily accessed from the user menu. I also consider Sony's menus & user-interface to be the best designed of all manufacturers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The XBR has more detailed controls for the DRC function. I don't recall exactly what it did; I just played around with it in the store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks