Sony HDTV question - s-video won't display

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeWe, Feb 21, 2004.

1. MikeWe

MikeWe Agent

I have had my Sony 36 xbr800 for about 8 months and never attempted to use the s-video imputs. The component imputs have worked without a hitch. Composite seems to work as well.

I recently purchased Replay TV and attempted to connect it to the Sony via the s-video input 3. Same on input 1. The picture was highly distored, with fast moving horizontal lines. I then tried to hook up my Motorola DCT-5100 cable box via s-video and had the same problem. I replicated the problem with my Panasonic DVD player and Samsung over the air HDTV tuner.

The problem is obviously the Sony, unless I am very unlucky with two separate s-video cables. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there some method to enable the S-Video imputs on the Sony or are they automatically enabled?

I checked the manual and did a search on this forum and could find nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Dumb question, but have you tried more than one S-video cable??

3. MikeWe

MikeWe Agent

That is a good question, and I edited my post to reflect the fact I tried two different cables. Either I am extremely unlucky with cables or it is the Sony. I guess I could try a third cable, but both cables provide the same bizarre distorted picture. One of the cables came with my s-vhs vcr about five years ago and the other I picked up at Radio Shack last week.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I think you can safely eliminate cabling as the problem.

Usually there are composite and S-video connections paired on the same inputs, and of course only one will work at a time, never both, as a last ditch very dumb question you're not trying to use both composite and S-on the same inputs??

Some dvd players/HD stbs will produce hash from S-video outputs when set to anything but interlaced output, but the Replay tv should only send out 480i, which eliminates my next dumb question.

Since the Sony sets have nothing in their user setups that can cause this I can only conclude along with ya that there must be a malfunction in the tv.

5. MikeWe

MikeWe Agent

I did try the s-video separate and apart from the composite on both input 1 and 3 on the Sony. I will try to hook up my S-VHS vcr and see if I get a picture that way just to make completely sure.

Otherwise, I guess I will have Sony come out and check the TV.

6. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

It has always been my understanding that only component cables, firewire or DVI were capable to transferring a high definition signal.