sony hd200..can it work with tivo?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Marty Carry, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Marty Carry

Marty Carry Extra

I know that (right now) I will not be able to record hd signals. But, could I hook the sony hd200 receiver to a tivo box and at least see recordings in analog (god forbid). As much as I hate the quality of my old ultimate tv directv receiver....I am having trouble getting comfortable with not being able to pause tv..shhrriieekk.

I have heard that they are coming out with some all in one equipment, but I do not know if I can be patient enough to wait before football starts. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks, Marty.

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

It doesn't work all that well, since you have to constantly switch to NTSC output rather than HD (else get no recording), plus you can't record anything while you watch in HD. Going this route the Samsung 160 works better than the Sony since you don't have to switch outputs all the time.

Can't you just keep your old UltimateTV receiver active? Or maybe get a DirecTivo if your UltimateTV isn't working anymore. It's much more convenient to have a receiver independent of your HD one for recording.