What's new

Sony HD100 (1 Viewer)

kevin_blakk

Auditioning
Has anyone had a good experience with this receiver? I love Sony's new window menu system, but from past post it sounds like the HD100 has a lot of defects. I wouldn't mind the defects if they could be fixed with a firmware update, but I am not sure if or when that will happen. Should I avoid this receiver? I will be connecting it to a Mits 46 HD ready. Thanks.

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
I love mine. The only real issue for me is the fan noise, Sony is aware, but who knows what and when they will do something about it. The rest of the issues are software related and can be solved with a software download. The most annoying issue for most was the half hour drop-out problem where you would lose the picture each half hour for a few seconds while the unit downloaded the guide (presumably). A work-around is in use by most of us where you select another channel on the same satellite (I.E. if you want to watch HBO HD 509, select the HD demo loop first on channel 199). Other problems are OTA (Over The Air) lip sync with some broadcasters, Sony is working with them to update the encoding gear and has solved the problem in many areas already.
My own pet peeves:
1) Fan noise (51 db measured right at the box just out of the fans air stream, mine is one of the lowest measured units).
2) When you're looking at the media window and decide to select that channel, the screen goes blank and there is no sound for about 1 to 1.5 seconds before the picture and sound return.
3) Like all the Sony boxes I've had before, if you scroll very far to the right in the guide to see what's on later, the unit will get the guide too often. And like the other Sony boxes, there is nothing you can do until it's done.
4) No local information for OTA stations unless they are sending PSIP.
Other than those minor (IMO) problems, it's a great box. I had the DST3000 Toshiba unit before and it had it's own suite of problems. I'm much happier with this unit.
Roger
------------------
System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS
Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable
Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk LS/FX Surrounds
Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, I have both the S-video (for recording purposes) and the componant connections switched through my B&K AVR307 receiver. I originally had the componant connections running directly to the TV, but have progressive scan DVD player also, so tried the switching and saw no degradation, so switched it is.
On the Sony Sat-HD100, if you select a program in the future to record, the unit will pop up a message telling you that it will switch to the S-Video/composite output at the time of the show so it can record. This works perfectly, I select a program to tape and shut everything off. When the time arrives, the unit powers up, changes to the S-Video/composite outputs, powers up my VCR (though a IR dongle) and records the program. It then shuts off the VCR, switches back to componant, and shuts down. Best system for unattended recording I've used.
What display do you have and what type HD inputs does it have?
Roger

kevin_blakk

Auditioning
Roger- I have a Mits 46805 with a 5 RCA connection for the HD. I assume I need a VGA to 5 RCA cable to connect a HD satellite.

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin, that is correct. This cable is readily available (I think even at Radio Shack). The Sony does have a VGA output for HD, so you can use it with your set.
Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks