Sony Halloween Horrors!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by AlanBrom, Jul 12, 2005.

1. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

DVD Drive-In has reported in their news section that Sony will be releasing THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES, TORTURE GARDEN, THE LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE and some other titles in October!

www.dvddrive-in.com

2. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Some good stuff there, and it's a good sign that the titles you listed are not "biggies," so we may be getting all sorts of things in the future other than the required "A" titles.

As a Boris Karloff fan, the one that tickled me most was Columbia's THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES (1940). It's interesting they chose to release that one first because (much as with Karloff's THE DEVIL COMMANDS that Columbia released last time) this is a film that has NEVER before been available on any Home Video Format. Something like THE BLACK ROOM (1935) may be a better and worthier film, but I consider it a positive thing that Sony elected to go with THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES first - and all I've ever seen of this so far have been dark and choppy prints. Much as I like THE BLACK ROOM, at least I have a sterling VHS of that one to hold me over till it makes its DVD debut.

3. Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci Cinematographer

I don't mean to piss on anyone's parade but, as I said in other threads as well, Columbia is showing no business acumen whatsoever by releasing these minor Boris Karloff titles one by one, bare-bones and, worst of all, overpriced.
    As a matter of fact, Karloff's "Mad Doctor" series he made at Columbia - THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG (1939), THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES (1940), BEFORE I HANG (1940), THE DEVIL COMMANDS (1941) and THE BOOGIE MAN WILL GET YOU (1942) - cries out for a treatment afforded by Universal to (arguably) superior movies in their Legacy collections. Not only are they attractively packaged and supplemented by wonderful material where required but, most importantly, they are also a steal at under $20!

Of course, this is all wishful thinking now since THE DEVIL COMMANDS and THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES have been given a release on their own[​IMG]. Call me cynical but I don't see Sony repackaging those in the near future...

Anyway, I'm also interested in TORTURE GARDEN (1967) and THE LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE (1976) from that line-up. Two years ago, Anchor Bay UK released a splendid 5-Disc Box Set of Amicus films in decent SE presentations; who wants to bet that Sony's TORTURE GARDEN will be a bare-bones affair[​IMG]?

4. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Mario, regarding the Karloff films, I couldn't agree with you more that THE DEVIL COMMANDS was overpriced, and that it's too bad these Boris movies are not being given the "bargain collector's set" treatment, just like Universal. But what else can we do? At least Columbia (SONY) is showing they're going to release them, albeit slowly and individually. Since THE DEVIL COMMANDS was so pricey, and it probably didn't sell many copies because of this, I never dreamed we'd see any more. No, it's not the most ideal way I would have liked... frankly, I think Boris Karloff Double Features for $10-$15 is the way to go -- but I'm pleasantly surprised by this new announcement.

5. Jae_E

Jae_E Agent

Glad to see another Karloff title, but how about some more Hammer? So far, all we've seen from Sony are Revenge of Frankenstein and Die Die My Darling. I was really hoping for...

Scream of Fear
    The Damned
    Curse of the Mummy's Tomb
    The Gorgon

and although not a Hammer title...

A Study in Terror

6. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

It is disappointing that there is still no Witchfinder General. I remember reading something that they were remastering it and working on some nice extras. This is one
    of the best of the AIP/Vincent Price films. It is unbelievable that this film has not been released.

7. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

WITCHFINDER GENERAL has been released on a SE in England, and is recommended (along with a Karloff film, THE SORCERERS).

I agree with you on this... at the very least, something similar to what Warners is doing with the Val Lewton boxed set is called for with the Columbia Karloff Mad Scientist films. Considering that all the titles are so similar (don't ask me which one is BEFORE I HANG and which is THE MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG), a collection would've seemed to be especially useful. (I also agree that THE BLACK ROOM is the best of the Columbia Karloffs, although not part of this series.) I used to pay $15-20 for my horror VHS tapes, though, so I don't find the stand alone Columbia discs all that expensive, anyway (I refuse to get spoiled by Universal and Warners and their lower-priced items; I consider that to be exemplary on their part, and don't hold it against other companies.)