What's new

Sony GWIV owners, please help with new purchase (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Ok so I'm about to make my big leap into HDTV hopefully soon. My current setup is a 27" JVC tube tv with a Sony NS400D DVD player. I realize I'll have to get a new DVD player to take advantage of newer picture technology. How is the Sony DVP-NS975V?

Also, I'm looking at both the Sony KDF-55WF655 and the Sony KDF-55XS955 models. Other than the XS having 1 more HDMI input, what are the major differences between the 2 that would warrant $400 more?

For HDTV, I was going to get the Cable card through Comcast. What are your impressions of Cablecard (if you have it)?

Lastly, I have both a Tweeter and Best Buy near me. In your own experiences which of the two would be a better choice in terms of service and warranty. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
The differences between the 2 TVs include:

2 HDMI inputs (versus 1)
Advanced video adjustment menu
Better built-in sound
Some kind of feature to decrease artifacts in a fast-moving picture
Way cooler cabinet design :)

(all for the 60XS955 model of course)

My advice: Avoid Best Buy if you value customer service.

P.S. Hello Stryker412 from AVS Forums! ;) Welcome to the HTF!

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Actually I've been here at the HTF for a year. I've only browsed on AVS but never posted. :)

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Oops... sorry. I missed your registration date.

I typically spend more time here too, but they have a lot of good technical information at AVS.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Your tv will scale any DVD input to 788p.

Why do you think you need a new DVD player to "take advantage of newer picture technology" ?

Few new players allow you to set the output to 788p. Therefore, your tv will have to re-scale anything you feed it.

You'd probably do much better with 1) your existing player, or 2) a very good progressive player like the Panasonic XP30/50.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I was thinking about that sony, because then I could output my DVD's through the HDMI input.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Ok, why do you think that is an advantage?

The tv will convert the digital HDMI signal to analog for processing and scaling. That's how Sony RP-LCDs work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks