1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony GWIV - CableCard

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Patrick Larkin, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Hi -

I just bought the Sony Grand Wega IV and it has a CableCard slot. My cable company offers CableCards surprisingly enough. Should I get one? How does it work? Does the coax connect to the card and the card goes in the TV?

My biggest question. Does the CableCard not allow me to hook up my Tivo Series 2?

Thanks in advance.

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

There are limitations to a cable card connection.
    You do not have access to on demand with iControl functions that enable you to pause, fast-forward and rewind on demand programming, including movies on demand, premiums on demand and favorites on demand
    interactive program guide.
    Season sports packages such as NBA League Pass
    Interactive and enhanced TV services, such as games
    Pay-Per-View.
    Get a good HD cable box.
    Vb

3. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

I agree with Simi

But your other question .. no the coax still goes into the coax port, there is nothing connected to the Cable Card itself.

Not sure how a Tivo Set up would work.

I would wait for the 2nd gen CC's, as they will be two-way, and will be able to do all of things the one way cards cannot do (things that Simi outlined).

Mike

4. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Is it the slot that is only one-way or the cable card that is one way?

In other words, if you have one of the current sets that are cable card ready, will the new 2-way cable cards work with them?