Sony Gw Tv Stand, Ugh!!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joseph O'Brien, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Joseph O'Brien

Joseph O'Brien Auditioning

Hello, went to Circuit City tonight with my brother to look over the 50" Sony LCD. The Sony was side by side with a Hitachi 50", the picture on the Hitachi looked better than the Sony but both looked good. Not sure if one set was was tweaked an the other not.

Heres my point, the Sony TV stand was in a word UGLY. The Hitachi was slimline and very pleasing to the eyes. Best part was the Sony Stand was $500.00 and it was just horrible.

I like Sony for a variety of reasons but I can't overlook the poor design and greed on the part of Sony.

Did anyone else notice how badly the stand fit the tv ?

Any input on custom stands to fit the 50" Sony LCD would be appreciated, otherwise it the Hitachi.

Thank You
    J. O'Brien

2. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Joseph,
    I agree that the Sony stand is way over priced. I just bought the 50" LCD (kf50we610). Which for me is a big purchase. My solution was I built my own stand. I'm no carpenter and have very rudimentary skills with power tools. But I used about 40 dollars or so of lumber and stain and about 3 1/2 days of working on it part time. I was able to make a custom stand I'm quite happy with and proud of. My next project are going to be bookshelves to hold the various components and media and what not.

3. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Both stands are way overpriced. The hitachi stand at CC is close to $600!!! And not very well built I might add.

I picked up the Omnimount Cosmic VT2 ($480)

4. Trevin Chow

Trevin Chow Stunt Coordinator

Lots of people on AVS forums are using Ikea stands for the GWIII TVs which are going for aroudn $100.

Ikea Oppli
    Ikea Bonde

5. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

I used a Bush stand for the Sony (model VS74337)that you can get at Best Buy for $299. It's about 55" in width and has tempered glass shelves. I was able to fit all my components in the stand.

6. Joseph O'Brien

Joseph O'Brien Auditioning

Thanks for all the input.

Later
    JOB

7. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I tried to find the cheap Ikea stand, but I had no luck finding it (tried two Ikeas), the price/size is just right.

It would nto have allowed me to put my Center speaker under the set though.

8. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=11149

ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=11349