Sony GW 60" LCD or FP Sony vpl-hs20 unit?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Eric_Connelly, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

I saw another post with the review of the Sony VPL-HS20 FP LCD Unit.

I got my Sony 60" GW on a super deal, 2700 + Tax, and no its not hot [​IMG] After reading the review and seeing the prices I had an idea of switching.

Our great room is 20x25 but due to the way the hallway goes to the butlers pantry and the placement of the TV I have zero room to put the speakers I'd like on the wall. Swapping the room around doesn't work for a variety of reason.

With a FP I can get rid of the stand, move the screen up a bit and fit my speakers just perfect the way I want them.

With the price I paid for the unit and the cost of the stand I'm sure I could do almost a 1:1 swap considering that 60" GW's are going for 3999 retail and about 3599 if you get a good deal.

We primarily watch TV at night. This is the main great room and I can control the amount of light but its far from being totally dark and has a decent amount of ambient light.

Voom is my primary HD source and I would say 85 percent of what we watch is HD only. On DVD I have a HD931. I also plan on adding a Roku 1000 unit for pics and music.

Everything comes in either 720p or 1080i and not much SD stuff.

How will they compare? In a perfect enviroment and a non-perfect enviroment for FP?

If the quality is much greater in a perfect enviroment I might take the trouble to make it a perfect enviroment.

If I do this I want to do it pretty quick before the next gen LCD's and DLP's hit the market and the value of my TV goes down.

Thanks!

2. Eric_Connelly

No one can give me a comparison?

I even now have a buyer for the TV, I just want to make sure I'm making a good decision.

Thanks

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    All I can say is the Hdef on the HS20 WILL impress you. The image is very detailed, sharp and nice. If you can factor in the cost of replacing the bulb every few thousand hours since you will be using it as a primary display (TV, movies etc) then I would go for it.

4. Eric_Connelly

How is it in a lit room?

We'll have this in our great room for the time being, I might do something dedicated later.

How much am I looking at for a screen?

I have my TV sold w/ stand for 3400, its ~2900 w/ shipping for the projector what kind of screen quality am I looking at in the 500-600 dollar range?

How do they scale with size? The resolution isn't any different than I have now, what will it look like if I go bigger?

I'm ~17 feet from the screen.

Thanks

5. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

I'd be leery of going with a projector as the only source if it's general use room. From what I've seen, (I just bought the HS3), the room needs to be pretty dark, So I'm keeping my regular old Sony 35" TV with a screen to pull down in front of it. I don't know, but I just wouldn't plunk down $3k+ on something without at least demo'ing it.