Sony Grand Wega

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerome Grate, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Walking through J & R and saw this beautiful looking t.v. Anyone has any info or any thoughts on this t.v.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Not a bad TV. Properly calibrated it looks really good. The guts of this thing is the same as the Sony VPL VW11HT front projector and the cost is the same. For this amount of money, I would seriously consider a FPTV unless you will be doing much TV watching on it.

3. Jerome Grate

I don't have the space for Front Projection, besides convincing the wife to go RPTV is hard enough. So far I saw nothing different from other Widescreen HD ready TVs (Mitsubishi, Hitachi etc.), am I missing something? It's hard to get a good sales man knowlegeable about the Sony Grand Wega.

4. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

On a HD feed this TV looks SWEET! Very detailed, and for a Sony it's nice and colorful. Kinda disappointing on an analog feed though... Sony loves their edge enhancement thingamabob. Benefits to this design over standard RPTV: no convergence issues and a bit shallower than your typical 60" bigscreen (20 inches, I think, vs 28ish for most). It's LCD (like a laptop monitor) so you're looking at a fixed pixel display, rather than a scanned one as in any CRT-based bigscreen (that is, all of them), which results in a more clear & stable image, IMHO. Slightly better viewing angle than a typical RPTV. Finally, it's a table-top TV rather than a big honkin' floor stander. Disadvantage: a $300ish bulb replacement every couple of years. Street price is now $5999 on the Grand Vega, putting it right in line with other high-end TVs of its size. Well worth a look.

5. Jerome Grate

Thanks JimFC for the info, $300 to replace CRT bulb, sheesh, I certainly should check out the Mitsubishi line.

6. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Another drawback of the Grand Wega is a result of its LCD architecture - its black level isn't comparable to a CRT. Black is really a dark gray. Images look a bit washed out as a result. I'm spoiled by CRTs and don't care for the look of LCD sets for this reason.

I suppose one can get used to this, but LCDs (and Plasmas) are constantly improving, and I've heard the next generation Sony LCD projector (the VW12HT) boasts a 1000:1 contrast ratio. I'd love to see one of those in action.

KJP

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If light is controlled in your room then the Grand Wega will look very good indeed. How much can you get one for in your area?