Sony Grand Wega?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

So, I was surfing around J&R and I saw this.. http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...e,Product_Name
    Never heard of it before, and I went to Sony's site to try and learn more and it isn't even listed. Is it just ultra-new? Or an only in japan right now kinda thing? Has anyone seen/used/bought one of these?
    One thing is it says it has "30 watt, 3-Way 6 speaker Virtual Dolby Surround system" now I know all about the virtual surround and stuff.. but it says it has 6 speakers? Does this mean it comes with all the speakers for 5.1 and all that with like a built in receiver or something.. or do the generic tv speakers simulate it better than all the rest?
    This is way outta my price range, but it still looked pretty sweet [​IMG]

2. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I would imagine it is new, and boy does it look SWWEEEEEEETTTTT!

3. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

I saw it at two stores in Phx, AZ a couple days ago. Its very nice, even though the picture did not look as good as I thought it should. STILL, I would buy one if my livingroom would take it.

4. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

If anyone here would like to loan me $8000, I'll buy one weather my living room will hold it or not [​IMG]

5. Richard Knight

Wow.

Its like looking at Vader's Super Star Destroyer.

A screen that flat and that big is the very definition of "home theater".

Richard

6. Roger Kaufmann

Roger Kaufmann Stunt Coordinator

I've seen it too, what the J&R ad doesn't say is there is an additional stand for $1,498 that is needed for the tv to sit on. It's also 23" wide which is only 1" smaller than a Mit's Platinum + 65" which has a much better picture!

I have looked at it for about 8 hours total and think the picture is awful compared to it's competition.

7. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I saw it yesterday at a Myer-Emco store here in northern Va. Very nice set.

Jeff

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    yeah we brought one of those into the hifi store i work at about 10 days before Christmas. i really wasnt impressed too much b/c (to me) it had the same problems that face RPTV's, namely viewing angle and necessity of perfect darkness. it is pretty slim though and is rather good from a good viewing angle under the right conditions. for the money, though, i'd get a Pioneer Elite RPTV or save a little more for a Plasma screen.

9. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

I also saw the set in a Dallas hi-fi store. I don't know if we're dealing with setup issues, but I thought the video image was outstanding! There are still some of the traditional negative issues with LCDs, but they are greatly minimized here. I can't believe anyone thinks that this image is inferior to a Mits. rear projector - the level of detail alone, let alone the color purity, is far, far better. If I had the money for a set like this, I would be comparing it to a front projector system in the price range.
    Now on the flipside, I can't believe anyone interested in an $8K set would have any interest in a virtual surround system. The set is just large, so has lots of room for speakers - why you would use them is another matter entirely. [​IMG]

10. Dann Cutter

Dann Cutter Auditioning

Couple of thoughts:

I bought one, so have been using it in various ways over the last few weeks...

Viewing angle is better than most RPTVs, but still not 180 deg. Brightness is outstanding. I have it in a room which is 50% huge picture windows, and can watch it full daytime, with NO glare and No real loss of quality.

None of the standard problems of RPTV... no convergence, no burn in, etc...

Very light, and much smaller than the mits. It will fit on almost ANY 36" stand, and is not top heavy.

Speakers are a waste. I paid $7k for mine, and I am certainly not going to use the sony speakers... which they would just sell it without and cut some dough off the price tag.

Best feature of all is the abiliy to size the screen to whatever you like, with two inputs. I play PS2, while my fiance watches at about 40" size. looks great. dann