Sony Grand Wega- room for center speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronG, Sep 28, 2002.

1. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting the new Grand Wega (50") and am wondering if the cabinet is wide enough to hold a center speaker. I've got a Paradigm Studio CC which is pretty big, and the cabinet on the TV looks really narrow.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Aaron,

No, it's just a thin edge on top. I was looking at this. Some Sony GW buyers discuss options in a thread at avsforum.com in the Rear Projection board. You might have to scroll some days back.

Bottom line, it's hard to find a tv stand that has the first shelf underneath tall (low) enough for an 8-inch Paradigm CC to fit. Otherwise, it's building a wall shelf above (ugh) or a huge entertainment center with tower racks on each side to support a top and middle cross-shelf to accommodate a larger CC. Or the CC on a stand on the floor in front of the GW.

3. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Bill!

4. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Aaron,

There is a third option in addition to what's listed above. Bush (sp?) makes a sort of frame that goes around projection TV's. The legs aren't audio towers, just 3/4" MDF or fibreboard. Personnally, I built a frame like this for my Sony KP51HW40 out of 3/4" MDF. It now holds my 35+ pound center channel speaker. It does sag just a little in the front - spray painted it gloss black and it looks pretty good and takes up almost no additional space.

Jim L