What's new

Sony Grand Wega or Samsung DLP? (1 Viewer)

Theodore

Auditioning
Having trouble deciding between these two. Does one have any significant advantages over the other? I play a lot of video games, so that is an important factor. Do both of these t.v.'s support 720? BTW, I am looking at the 50'' Sony and the 50'' Samsung. Thanks for any feedback.

Jeff Me

Agent
I would check out the RPTV section of www.avsforum.com . There is a lot of discussion on these two sets there. I would suggest you consider the Panasonic DLP or Sony Grand Wega. However, you can decide for yourself.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I really like about the Samsung models, at least the 43" & 50" DLPs, is that they are "tabletop" units. If I replace my 36" 4:3 Sony (non-HD), the 43" Samsung slides right in -- it is only about 1.5 inches wider, same height -- and I don't have to mess with moving equipment in the TV stand.

I've seen em both, sold em both. . . I like the Samsung a lot more. It has better black levels, a little bit better colors. . . plus it's a lot smaller in size than the Wega. Wega has better speakers, but who uses the speakers in the television? Samsung also has better wide angle viewing. . .make sure you get the higher end model, the 437, 507, or the 617, not the 4365 or whatever. . . better Faroudja chip.

Jeff Me

Agent
Actually the other models appear to have the Faroudja chip. This has been verified on the avsforum. The whole Tantus thing appears to be marketing for these displays.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
In the family we now own 3 GW’s. So realize this is ‘slanted’. I owned the GWI and gave it to the in-laws purchasing a GWII for a replacement. Honestly I miss my GWI between these two units (could be luck of the draw) the One beat the Two in contrast detail in dark screens. Not very conducive for me to believe Sony’s claim that they increased contrast by 20-25% on the GWII. I’m still wondering if the drop in prices on the GW’s indicates, enough volume and production finally leading to scaled down manuf costs for Sony, or in combination did they ‘cheap’ us some misc. parts which might have been responsible for the loss in detail in certain lighting shots. Sony has announced dropping the price on the GW50III and GW60III a thousand less than GWII models, when next years launches (scheduled roughly for Oct/Nov 2003) but if the III release runs as the announced release of the GWII, these newest III’s will not be available in stores till Feb 2004. Supposedly Sony will drop the XBR designation on the GW III reserving that to the plasma line only. Adding moving images to the Memory stick slot, vs stills only on the II’s.

Owning the GW’s has been very satisfactory and I have not regretted the purchase yet. I’ve watched the Samsung DLP’s ceaselessly since they launched, and never having preformed my own in-home demo, tweak a feast, with a DLP, still prefer the Sony GW’s. This weekend spent Sat/Sun coaching my mother through her options and features, pointing out to her different drawbacks between the technologies. Issues like, viewing angle range, between the CRT RP and the LCD’s, DLPs and plasmas. She eliminated the Samsung DLPs on Sat and narrowed to the Pioneer Elite or the GW 60 on Sunday. She went with the Sony finally. I’ll be setting it up on Tuesday, it will be my 3rd to play with.
The recommendation to head to AVSforum is a good one. Be sure and check out the DVI thread stuck at the top regarding which current displays have the (assumed compatible) type DVI version which will cont. to work with future scheduled changes due to Copyright issues. (just because it says ‘DVI’ you are not safe, as too future options).

Edit: if you are looking at the 50 GW, go to AVSforum do a search on GW's the last couple of weeks there is a thread something about posted reciepits for 50 GW purchase. There are two CC reciepts for 3199 for the 50 GW, print them and get your local CC to price match. I think its the best pricing you'll get one at a B&M currently. 60" are usually in stock, if you go with the 50" expect a backorder of several days to 2 months, the 50" is selling like hotcakes.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Jeff, have not. For multiple reasons. I let the storefront know I was not happy with the performance of the II Vs my old I. They sent a Service Tech, who walked in …ran my bright/contrast up to 100% turned to me and grinned said “There…do you think that looks better?” I may not know much yet, but I knew I was in trouble with that! Can you imagine if I had purchased a plasma or CRT RP, and was layperson purchaser and had a tech come in and leave my display on those settings!
When I talked to the Service Dept, I explained I knew just enough to be ‘dangerous’, but it was wasting their time to send me anyone, who did not have some level of expertise in Service Mode. I have not heard back yet. And need to confirm with Sony (if I just hire a cert. Calb) will that bust my warranty? I’m a little scared to go into SM myself, (although knowing me) when the opportunity arises for me to thoroughly study up and prepare, I will be too curious not to attempt it myself. At my minor level of knowledge the last several dealings I’ve had this year with Service Techs @ the Sat Co. and the Electronics’ Co. I cannot even fathom this….but I’ve had to walk them through issues! If at my miniscule level of knowledge I’m already ahead of the service tech's I’ve been sent lately ….I might as well (learn) to do it myself. I want to go into this forearmed and thoughtfully and really don’t have the time currently. My Mother will have me all tied up sorting out her stuff for the next couple weekends. And I have time to tweak and research tweaks only fitfully during many months. What spare I have ends up eaten up by projects like my Mother.

I understand some have had very good luck using the tweaks for SM posted, - with some of my issues. But what irked me about the II (Vs the I) is the GWI did not require these tweaks, a tune up with the S&V disc and it was good to go!

Jeff Me

Agent
A contrast setting between 80 to 100% is correct for a GWII. I believe what you are seeing is the low factory gamma on these sets. Unfortunately it does require going into the service menu to fix it. You should download the service manual and tweak file in the UMR Does GWII thread and see if you are up to it. The improvement is very significant.

Hiring a calibrator for these sets is a mixed bag. I have only read of one who sounds like he is doing a good job. I am sure others are as well, but many are not. I would personally recommend getting the light meter recommended in the tweak file instead and doing it yourself.

I do not believe Sony will give you the green light on calibrating the set not effecting your warrenty.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Did not realize the service manual was in the download for that thread! Thought that was one of my required stops before proceeding (ordering the manual) You may have just speeded up my schedule for getting to this. I will download and study. Curious if not improper to inquire; who is the one calibrator who has had more success with the LCD’s. I assumed that would be an issue, finding one with experience in that format.

Thank you very much for the encouragement, I feel a little bad after ragging on my ST, with the 80 to 100% recommend, but I don’t think he was coming from that knowledge base. He commented after the contrast/bright 100 push. “Also you have to watch this set in Vivid, (I had it set to ‘standard’ which had been tweaked off factory setting using the disc) most people find that the best and that’s why your prob. having trouble.” (the worst of the fac defaults in my opinion although ‘vivid’ setting seemed a little improved out of box on the II Vs the One. He also went on to inform me he had never worked on an LCD and not been to ‘class’ for these yet. Those 3 actions were the only service he could offer.

Sincere thanks for the advice!.

Jeff Me

Agent
Steve Martin (Cheezmo) has contributed to the UMR Does GWII thread. I would read his posts. He might also be able to guide you to a calibrator in your area that has experience with these TVs.

Most people believe Pro mode is the best on these sets.

Good Luck!

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Most people believe Pro mode is the best on these sets.
My favorite out of the box…till I tweaked 'Standard' to the S&V disc. I saw the UMR thread at its earliest inception, -have not scanned it in a long while …time to do so. Just set up the ‘moms’ Sony this am after delivery, but my replacement cables I ordered for her, did not make delivery till this pm..…so I’m back off over there tonight, and prob. the next couple weekends, helping her learn remotes and bringing the system up to HD capability. (STB & Dish upgrade etc). (Although I want her to wait on the STB purchase till Sony/Zenith/Samsung, (maybe Hughes coming out) sort out all the issues with these latest HD models. (I had to return my HD200).
I go to download and print now. And get on to this in the next few weeks.
Again thank you,,,,hey do I get to blame you for unlawful incitement, - if I blow up something in SM??!!
Teasing……whatever I do is on my head. …(and I know…write down ALL org. settings!) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks