What's new

Sony Grand Wega 42" LCD...suggested alternatives? (1 Viewer)

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
I have been shopping around for a large screen for awhile now. I was originally going to get a CRT but ended up walking by the Grand Wega 50" and falling in love. The price tag at the time was more than I wanted to spend though so I just put it off until I could forget about how much better the picture was. That only took a few months and I had decided to go with the Panasonic 53x54. The picture is good on it and could work but I really would like to save some room and go with a DLP or LCD. So, I am back to the Grand Wega but I have noticed reports that there are severe problems with the lamp burning out in a matter of months(weeks for some.) This makes it pretty hard to buy.

The last time I checked them out at Best Buy nothing seemed to have as good of a picture but I am sure that there has to be something with a comparable picture. Any suggestions?

-42"+ DLP/LCD

-About 50/50 DVD/TV viewing. Will be getting Digital Cable after purchase. No video games on it.

SimiA

Second Unit
Without batting an eye, I'd suggest the Sharp LC45GX6U. A truly great set. Not the RP LCD sets you're looking at.
But hey, I'm a great spender of other peoples money!
Vb

Cary

Stunt Coordinator
There was a monstrous flurry of this issue with the first sets. Sony put in a running change in January of this year, which seems to have fixed the problem. I wouldn't worry about buying a new production model. There's also now a follow-on model, the 655, which includes the HD tuner. No reported problems on this one either. Enjoy - I use the 60" myself and am quite happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks