Sony Grand Wega 42" LCD...suggested alternatives?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew S-, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

I have been shopping around for a large screen for awhile now. I was originally going to get a CRT but ended up walking by the Grand Wega 50" and falling in love. The price tag at the time was more than I wanted to spend though so I just put it off until I could forget about how much better the picture was. That only took a few months and I had decided to go with the Panasonic 53x54. The picture is good on it and could work but I really would like to save some room and go with a DLP or LCD. So, I am back to the Grand Wega but I have noticed reports that there are severe problems with the lamp burning out in a matter of months(weeks for some.) This makes it pretty hard to buy.

The last time I checked them out at Best Buy nothing seemed to have as good of a picture but I am sure that there has to be something with a comparable picture. Any suggestions?

-42"+ DLP/LCD

-About 50/50 DVD/TV viewing. Will be getting Digital Cable after purchase. No video games on it.

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Without batting an eye, I'd suggest the Sharp LC45GX6U. A truly great set. Not the RP LCD sets you're looking at.
    But hey, I'm a great spender of other peoples money!
    Vb

3. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

There was a monstrous flurry of this issue with the first sets. Sony put in a running change in January of this year, which seems to have fixed the problem. I wouldn't worry about buying a new production model. There's also now a follow-on model, the 655, which includes the HD tuner. No reported problems on this one either. Enjoy - I use the 60" myself and am quite happy with it.

4. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

Well then I guess I will have to just get the Sony. Thanks very much.