Sony FV: no service codes for Color, Tint?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony_Pat, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

Is this true? There do not appear to be service codes for Bright, Picture, Color, Tint. It seems like they can only be adjusted from the regular menu.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Tony,

Service menu designations for various items don't match user menu terminology.

It would help if you'd post what you're trying to achieve in the service menu.

There are items for brightness, color, and contrast, but they pretty much just change the "baseline" for the user adjustments. These would only be useful if you want to change the factory defaults for the user menu settings, which an isf guy would do but which you don't have to do unless somebody keeps hitting the reset button on your remote and messing up the settings you've saved in the user menu.

"Tint" would be affected by the Drive and Cut service menu items. There are different usually cut and drive settings for each color, Drive affects that color in bright areas of the picture, Cut in dark areas. They are a bit interactive and you can really mess things up if you're not careful.

For example, GCUT will turn green up and down in dark areas, but will also affect bright areas just a bit. Conversely, GDRV will mainly adjust green in bright areas, but will also have a bit of an effect in dark areas. My 98 model Sony XBR had GDRV, GCUT, BDRV, and BCUT, but no adjustments for red, which was fixed, so one had to adjust green and blue to sorta match the fixed red.

These adustements are for the gray scale, meaning getting true black through white when displaying a grayscale pattern from a test disc like AVIA or VE. It is impossible to get this exactly right without expensive test equipment, but you may be able to help a really obvious off-tint by eye alone.

Just be sure to write down the original settings before changing anything. The original settings for these are different for each individual set, so if you don't write them down and mess things up, getting someone else's settings won't do you much good.

3. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My KV35XBR48 had service menu items for sub-contrast, color and brightness, SBRT SCOL, SCON, I think. I don't have the set any more, but do have a Sony rptv with similar items in the service menu but I don't know if this would apply to your set.

I get cross-eyed trying to count the clicks, wish they'd use a percent indication like everybody else. I'm one of those people who will tweak a bit for each dvd I play, so after a while my settings are no longer at AVIA standard.

I set mine up with AVIA in Pro mode, duplicate the settings as far as clicks in the VIVID mode which I never use. When I want to get back to AVIA settings in Pro, I switch back and forth from vivid and adjust in pro until the clicks match. This is a pain, but it works.

5. Tony_Pat

Tony_Pat Agent