What's new

Sony FS v. FV. What's the deal?!?!? (1 Viewer)

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I understood the differences but the saleperson totally messed me up. He said that the FV is the ONLY way to go.

I do not want PIP, I do not care about audio. I only care about DVD quality.

Thanks

BruceN

Auditioning
The FS And FV picture for DVD's will be the same. The FV has PIP, better sound and supposedly has a slightly better cable picture. So if all you care about is DVD picture quality save some money for some DVD's and get the FS. I presently have a 27" FS in my bedroom which replaced a 27" FV (uneven brightness) and I see no difference in picture quality but the FV did sound quite a bit better. I have a 36" XBR450 in the living room and although for the most the cable picture is great, the FS (due to the smaller screen size) in the bedroom is better. It's the opposite for DVD's, however.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Actually, the FV series has a better comb filter (yes, IMO, that still results in a better DVD picture), and has the ability to detect a 4:3 signal from a 16:9 signal automatically. In the FS series, you're going to have to switch your DVD player manually if you want to watch 4:3 material on the same input. I would rather get the FV series instead of the FS series for that feature alone. Plus, I got the 32FV27 for only $1167.97 total. Price-matched it at Sears and ended up getting a free stand out of the deal (since they were doing a free stand offer on any 32" WEGA at the time).

Hope that helped.

TimG

Second Unit
If you have no need for PIP or better audio and manually switching the squeeze on and off doesn't bother you, I would say go with the FS. You will likely be using the component in for the dvds and (I think) that doesn't use the comb filter anyway. I guess it depends on whether you need to save the $200 in difference between the two.

TimG

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
It also depends on which size of TV you are talking about. In the 27" size, neither one auto switches the 16:9 mode. You still need to do this thru the menu. If you are using it in a HT setup (using external speakers, etc.), then the enhanced sound quality doesnt matter, either, since you arent going to use the built in speakers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Both the FS and FV series have PIP (-17 has it, -13 doesn't).

Why would the comb filter affect the DVD picture, if you use component cables? Isn't the comb filter bypassed then?

michael_I

Auditioning
Well I went with the FS13. Was $440 out the door. The FV was $600 and was not in stock.

So far looks good, did some calibration with VE. I have a few sites that talk about the Service Menu, but they all dont say the same thing, such as Red Push. One site says to set AXPL =1 to turn it off another site says to set it to =0.

Anyone know of the best site for this model?

michael_I

Auditioning
That is part of the problem:

From Keohi:

Disabling the Red Push:

Set the AXPL setting to 1.

From Chucksters:

At the very least, turn the red push off (axpl and axnt to 0).

??????

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 32FS17 and I have the same dilema: AXPL 1 or 0 ? I tried both and I have to say that I got even more confused. Logic tells me that the 0 setting would be the correct setting to disable the red push, but what do I know.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
axpl and axnt = 0...if you do this while there's an object on the screen (eg, columbia pictures logo), you'll notice that red is reduced.

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
Another difference between the FV and FS -- the FV's have a better power supply. I think I recall reading here awhile back that this will inherently make the color decoding better??? Maybe someone with more knowledge can jump in here...

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I chose the 32FV27 over the 32FS purely for the 16x9 autodetect feature. It makes it very convenient to watch extras on a DVD where the menus are anamorphic but the extra features are not. No more going through the pull-down menu every time to turn 16x9 squeeze on/off.

Paid $985 + tax, Sears pricematch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks