Sony Fontopia Headphones:Opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    if you're looking into this type of headphone, make sure you look at Etymotic Research's line. they are the best of this type that are affordable. scroll a little more than halfway down this page and you'll see them:
    http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...&subTopicID=26
    to answer your question: YES! they do go inside of your ear (q-tips required!) and they really hamper your ability to hear people around you! i've heard the ER4S 'phones and they are spectacular. i'm actually about to buy a pair of ER4P's for travel. although i havent heard those 'phones you're talking about, i'd stay away from Sony for headphones in general.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I have a pair of these headphones, and they're not bad for a bud-type effort. Their enclosed, in-ear approach allows them to play at dangerously loud levels, and produce much more and much deeper bass than any other bud headphones I've heard.

For absolute fidelity they're well short of my Sennheiser open over-ears headphones (bass is a little too exaggerated), but they're handy for portability (I use them with my venerable Sony WM-FX77 Walkman).

As Thomas mentioned, they block out most external sound so aren't suitable for use on bikes or while driving; but this makes them great for use on planes. I wouldn't pay $50 for them, but if you can find a cheap pair you could do worse.

Adam