Sony "Flicker" Issue, Temp Fix ??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Steven_Lazarus, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus Stunt Coordinator

Good Day All,
    Well now that I'm on my third television in the same number of weeks I think destiny is telling me that I should never have tried to purchase a rear projection television.
    The first JVC lasted 3 days before suffering some kind of convergence circuitry melt down, the Samsung that I tried to replace it with was horrid as far as picture quality went, the protective screen they used on their 2002-2003 model had a blue tint to half the screen when viewed at the slightest of angles and for $2,000 I wasn't going to deal with that for long.
    Anyway I ended up getting the Sony KP-57WS510 because it was pretty much the only other option I have being stationed over here in Italy. I would have bought it to begin with but the NEX didn't want to price match Best Buy which had it for $1,700 so I chose to save a couple bucks by purchasing the JVC & Samsung (silly me as I reflect on it).
    Anyway, what it boils down to is this; the Sony has all the symptoms of suffering from the "Flicker" issue as discussed in this forum as well as stated by the Sony service bulletin put out in 2003, I've spoken with Sony and tried to explain the circumstances I am in, being stationed overseas and such and was hoping they would authorize CRT gun replacement through an Italian Sony certified repair outlet over here. But after the exchange of several e-mails they pretty much said either ship it to Naples, Italy for repair through the NEX which could take anywhere from 4-6 months, or return it for another Brand of television. In all honesty I really want to keep it, even with the flicker issue it still has the best picture of all the televisions at the NEX (Navy Exchange). So my question is; until I get back the States in a little over a year and get the CRT guns replaced is there anything at all I can do to help minimize the flicker? It's really not noticeable until there is a scene in a movie that is shot with a dim background and little to no movement, or with say, rays of sunshine coming through a window creating the flicker as the light is dispersed across the background. During action scenes or scenes shot outside, or at full light you can't see it at all. I was hoping maybe someone had come across a way to help neutralize the flicker even in the minutest of ways, is there anything in the service menus I can adjust? Because I've tried pretty much everything else. Thanks again for listening to me, any and all feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Steve.

2. Steven_Lazarus

Thanks for the response Jim,
    As for returning it, unless I want a JVC or Samsung this is it. The selection over here on base in Italy is limited and when slow moving items like expensive televisions or other things that are not high volume are sold they usually don't restock that item, they just wait until a new model comes out or maybe never restock it again. So needless to say I can't return it for the same model due to the fact there are no more and like I said even with the issue I'm having I still like the picture quality of this television better than that of the JVC's or Samsung models they do have available. The only option I do have is to send it off to Naples for repair which could take anywhere from 4-6 months and in all honesty I think it would come back in worse shape then I sent it out in.
    I'm not sure exactly what the official "flicker" looks like because I never actually seen what a diagnosed "flicker" television looks like; maybe my description of the problem sounds odd, or maybe I'm completely wrong, but it's the only thing that made sense to me...
    What I'm seeing is a strobe type of effect during low light conditions of whatever it is I'm watching, it's more noticeable along the outside vertical edges of the screen, however it's not noticeable if the area is dark, or there's alot of movement on the screen. But under white or diffuse lighting, with little to no movement on the screen I'm seeing what could be best described as a strobing/pulsing effect in the lighter areas of the screen, not just during DVD playback, watching satellite television as well. Is this the "Flicker" issue that Sony is talking about, or am I way off base? If it's not what other avenues should I pursue? I have not yet calibrated the television due to the fact I'm waiting for my AVIA disk to arrive. I've tried flash focus, manually focusing, as well as using two different picture quality set-up guides (THX optimizer and one I downloaded).
    I'm not sure as of yet how to access the service menu and if I do is there a setting that might help correct this issue? Thanks again
    Steve

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

That's not the well-known "flicker issue". The flicker was not a strobe like effect but a sudden intermittent change in color/brightness all over the screen.

Unfortunately I have no idea what your set's problem may be.

Given the limited availability of alternative sets and lousy repair options in your situation, I can't help thinking your best option would be to return the set for a refund and wait until your return to the US before trying again. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but would add that even if you could get this corrected or find a "good" set in Italy there is a considerable risk that the shipment of the set back to the US at the end of your tour of duty could mess it up anyway.

4. Steven_Lazarus

I see where your coming from Steve and I actually took that into consideration before my purchase (shipping it back to the states) but the military takes care of our household goods during shipment and testing my electronics after I PCS (Permanent Change of Station) is always one of the first things I do. Working condition and appearance of everything is documented before they have professional movers pack your stuff and I always take lots of photos of my stuff for back-up, If anything's broken or even scratched for that matter the military will give me face value of the item and I still get to keep it! So needless to say they do a good job packing all your stuff up.
    I'm actually happy to hear it's not the "Flicker" issue, the more I research it, the more I think it's the DVD player causing the issue, a JVC XV-N412S. My satellite reception over here consists of 6 AFN (Armed Forces Network) channels and picture quality is crap anyway so I think it's hard to blame the television for that. I just don't think the progressive scan on that DVD player is a good match for the Sony, basically I need to invest a couple extra dollars and upgrade. So I've been sitting here on duty this evening scouring through all the DVD player posts trying to make up my mind between a Bravo D2, the Zenith DVB-318 and the Samsung HD931. The only trick is finding a place that's willing to ship to my FPO AE address, god I miss the states!! 18 more months... Anyway I appreciate your help!
    P.S. Anyone know how to access the service menu?

5. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Steve,

There are a couple of things I would suggest you try. First, if the problem is indeed related to the progressive output on your DVD player - set it to interlaced and see if the Sony's built-in deinterlacer works better (it very well might).

I'm also wondering if there may be issues with the quality of the electrical supply to the set. If I remember correctly, less than ideal power conditions (voltage fluctuations and possible ground loops) can result in brightness fluctuations in direct view CRT sets, so I would think it's possible in an RPTV too. Have you tried plugging the set into a different outlet in a different room? What about a line conditioner or even a surge protector - is there any way you can see if either one will help your situation?

I agree with the above posters - the problem is not flicker. I've seen that problem firsthand and it's more a color shift than anything else (the brightness is affected simply because one or more of the guns are crapping out). Besides, the problem was fixed long before your set hit the market.

Sorry to hear of your troubles - I can only imagine how frustrating it must be. Good luck!

-Jason

6. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Oh - almost forgot...

You can access the service mode in Sony sets by pressing DISPLAY, 5, VOL+, POWER in succession. You'll know you're in service mode because of the letters and numbers that appear at the top of the screen. You navigate the service mode using the remote:
    keys 1 and 4 change the item
    keys 2 and 5 change the category
    keys 3 and 6 change the value

To save changes press MUTE, then ENTER. Turn the set off to exit the service menu.

As is always stated in the forum - BE VERY CAREFUL FIDDLING WITH THESE SETTINGS! You can very easily render the set unwatchable if you're not careful. As a safety precaution, write down the default value of any setting you try to change. Caveat emptor!

-Jason

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Steve,

My 3 year old KP57HW40 is essentially the same set as yours. It works fine with Panasonic and newer JVC players.
    I currently have a Zenith DVB-318 connected via component and set for 1080i and it's very nice indeed. There is a firmware update on the Zenith which unfortunately eliminates the 1080i via component, but if you can find a March 04 or earlier build date I'd highly recommend the Zenith.

8. Steven_Lazarus

Thanks for the ideas and feedback Jason and Steve.
    I think you might be onto something when it comes to power Jason; my television is plugged into a transformer that converts a 220-volt/50Hz supply to a 110-volt/50Hz. I live on the economy (out in town, not base housing) and they use a standard 220-volt supply here in Italy. According to my transformer it's able to handle up to 1500 watts. I currently have my TV, DVD, H/K a/v receiver, Sub, CD player and Tape deck plugged into it. The tape deck and CD player are never on and I've done my math and I'm pretty sure I fall below the max wattage allotted by my transformer, I think I need to double check that now because I didn't take that into consideration after hooking up the new television (YIKES!!).
    I also tried using a Surge protector/Line conditioner, I think it was a "GE" brand ($30) and when I plug it into the transformer I blow my main house fuse/circuit every time. Why, I think it's due to the 110-volt/60Hz setting on the surge protectors,happens every damn time. How I can fix this, I haven't a clue. That in it's self has me really concerned due to the amount of power surges we have here in Italy. It's not uncommon for us to lose power on an average of 4-5 times a week, sometimes 4-5 times a day. I'm really not sure how to solve this issue and the people that work at the NEX (Navy Exchange) are not really electronics experts, just spouses of active duty members that are stationed here, so needless to say, it’s like asking a someone that deals with ordinance for medical advice, just looking for trouble…
    I think this is an avenue I should pursue a little more, sounds like it could indeed be a cause for concern. I’m not sure how to approach it, transformers are all the same, and I’m also assuming if one won’t work, odds are they are all going to yield the same results. What to do, what to do …. Hmmmmm….
    Well once again you guys have been great trying to help me solve this issue, if you have any more ideas I’m all ears!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]