Sony five-disc changer with progressive and SACD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Birchall, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Well, I was getting all geared up for Sony's new progressive-scan five disc changer, the DVP-NC655P/S, and then I found out about the 755, which is the single-disc progressive scan player that also does SACD (which the changer doesn't do). But I like changers (current player is the old-school DVP-C600D), so the single-disc model just won't cut it for me.

I've read through several threads here, and there have been a few mentions of a Sony progressive scan SACD changer possibly coming out, but nothing concrete. If there's something like that coming out, I'll hold off until then, but if not, I'll probably go ahead and pick up the 655.

Anybody know anything for sure either way? Or are there any other players from other brands I should look at? I'd like to keep it under $400, but I don't think that would be possible for the time being.

Thanks for any help!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matt, I have heard nothing about Sony releasing a progressive-scan DVD/SACD changer. That, of course, doesn't mean it won't happen. An SACD-compatible version of the 'NC655P would be great to see. Hopefully Sony will give us one.

3. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Thanks, Keith. I think what I'll do is go ahead and pick up the 655 for now, and that way, the very next day, Sony'll announce that they've got a progressive scan/SACD changer coming out. Or better yet, they'll announce it the day after my thirty-day-return-policy runs out. [​IMG]
    Now I guess Sony does have the 650 (?) that's out, which is the SACD changer, but no progressive scan. Although I can't make use of the p-scan right now, I'll be able to get some good out of it when I upgrade my TV in a year or two, so I think being future-proof is a tad more important to me than the SACD, for the time being.
    And I guess if I want SACD and/or DVD-Audio bad enough, I can always buy a separate player to go along with my changer and do it that way. I just kind of wanted an SACD player for the new Stones remasters, that I'm going to be picking up anyway. Glad they're gonna be hybrid discs.
    Thanks again.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matt, no problem. Have you considered buying a separate SACD player? The Sony SCD-CE775 carousel SACD/CD changer is available for $180 these days, though it is getting tough to find. Sony phased it out awhile back but has not announced a replacement model yet. Anyway, you might consider tracking down a 'CE775. Alternatively, you could wait until day 31 with your 'NC655P. On that day, I figure Sony will announce a progressive-scan DVD/SACD changer for $200 that will be unanimously regarded as the best SACD player on the planet -- and with no chroma bug! [​IMG]