Sony FD Trinitron Wega KV-32FS100

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Johnal, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Hi Everyone,
    Back in October I purchased this television (in subject line) and worked wonderfully for the first month or so. After a while I began to notice that after the television has been left on for over 5-6 hours (and yes, it is being watched...not just left on forever) it begins to make a high ringing pitch noise. It's very distinct and you don't even have to have a trained ear to hear it. Well, I got the 4 year extended warranty on my television so I wasn't too concerned. The first time I called a service man out, he stayed for about 10 minutes and said that because I couldn't replicate the issue at hand he could not service it and it would count against me. Apparently, the Best Buy warranty states that if someone comes out to service the product 3 times and nothing is found to be wrong then I will have to start paying for a serviceman to come out. Great. So the second time i schedule a service call I am sure to leave the television on for 8 hours and sure enough it makes the noise. As luck would have it... just as the service man steps into the room it stops. He heard it for about 5 seconds and agrees to do what he can. He opens up the TV and does some minor soldering to better the connection on the main board. Well guess what... it didn't fix the problem. The television still does the noise but it's too spasmatic to be able to predict exactly when it will do it. Sometimes the noise stays on until i turn off the tv for a while, and sometimes it will come and go randomyly throughout whatever I may be watching. Either way, they only come out on weekdays meaning I have to get the time off work to be home when they come by which is damn near impossible to be honest. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has this tv or knows of someone who does who has had this problem resolved? Thanks!

-Johnal

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Johnal, all monitors/displays emit a high-pitched frequency that appears to be at around 15 kHz. Some people are more sensitive to it than others, while others still cannot hear it at all. You say that you notice this noise after the Sony has been powered up for a few hours. For all you know, just repositioning your own location may be having more of an effect on your noticing it.

Also, for what it's worth, I've noticed that this sound seems more noticeable on Sonys (I've been around a lot of Sonys).

Unless it's really distracting you from the program material, I wouldn't fret over it. From the description you provide, it sounds like a normally operating FS100. Try to enjoy the set's virtues (it's one of the best NTSC-only sets you can own).

3. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Jack,
    Thank you for your response. Unfortunately it is quite distracting to the viewing experience and when it comes to trying to describe what exactly the high frequency noise sounds like to someone it is quite frustrating because it's almost as if it's one of those, "You have to hear it for yourself to understand" kind of things." We have 2 other televisions in my apartment and they all have a high frequency noise that makes it so even if nothing is showing on television you can hear the frequency that let's you know the TV is on. This frequency can not be heard by all.(God i hope I'm making sense) But, with my Sony TV it truly is a piercing noise that does not take a trained ear to hear. * sigh * I wish i could describe the pitch and timber better. Thanks again for your prompt response.

-Johnal

4. joey mr

joey mr Stunt Coordinator

so you are saying this just started happening well usually sony tubes are quiet and that would have bean my first guess but it could also be a little current leak or may be just a bad ground in the set .wow hard to tell but hope you get some good news .cheers

5. Jack Briggs

Yes, it's kind of hard without being able to hear precisely what you're hearing. But I still think it's probably normal.

6. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    At first I thought that maybe I was just being a little over sensitive to the high frequency noise that many electronics emit. However, it really was confirmed when I had a few friends over and we all heard the noise that is almost piercing. I even thought at one point that I may have titanus or something. Anyway, I guess I’ll just keep hopin that someone else out there has had this issue resolved and can help me out. Like I said though, even the 2nd repair man that came out heard the noise, but it went away literally as he put his tool case down. He said without having the TV turned around and open he could not properly ID the problem, and so he just did the best he could by re-soldering some connections. Anyway, thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

-Johnal

7. Jack Briggs

My suggestion now would be to call Sony directly and see if there might be a chance of replacing this one with a different FS100 unit.