What's new

Sony EV-C8U Video8 Player, needs oiling (1 Viewer)

iKokomo

Grip
Real Name
Carl Oak
I just got a Sony EV-C8U Video8 Player for less than $10 at a thrift store and it is in mostly working condition. The only problem is that the spindles turn, but they are sometimes jerky and make a slight grinding sound when they turn. The tape plays and the picture shows great on the screen, but sometimes it gets stuck, I have to eject the tape and put it back in to make it work again.

My question is, how / where do I oil the spindles / gears so I can get this neat thing working again? Thanks (PS. I have record player oil that I use that seems to work well!)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I know nothing about this specific player, but I highly recommend you don't use any oil! Generally the problem isn't lubrication, it's a matter of dirt, and a good cleaning of any gears/belts is the first thing. Isopropyl alcohol for that. Oil just attracts more dust/dirt. Check the gear teeth for any missing or rough parts you might be able to smooth out. And yes, cleaning gears is a real PITA compared to just adding oil...

[It's true that the spindle bearing on a TT may need some lube every so often if not sealed. But very little and very rarely, proper lube doesn't "evaporate" or go away, and just adding lube to "solve" a problem there probably means the bearing is dirty and/or damaged.]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks