Sony ES STR-DA5ES as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Elvick, Feb 1, 2002.

1. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Anyone have this setup? I would use it as a preamp only and I have Parasound amplification. I like the 2 multichannel inputs and flexible bass management. Any comments?

James Elvick

2. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

OK I'll jump in. I've owned the DA5ES for several months.
    I think it is an excellent built unit. Excellent 5 year ES warranty. Two multichannel inputs is a big plus if you plan on running both DVD Audio and SACD. Gold plated inputs, nice learning remote, all the present formats (DPLII, DTS ES, etc.........), the best bass management of any receiver I know of and did I mention it's built like a tank.
    On the down side, No onscreen volume display, setup and menus a little cumbersome..........
    I plan on comparing the DA5ES to the Outlaw 950 if and when it's released. [​IMG]
    geo

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

As Geo mentioned, there really is no compitition for the price among receivers except possibly for the upcoming stand-alone Outlaw. My question would be "why not the D3A," since you won't be using the on board amps anyway. I'm not familar with either the D3A or D5A. Unless their is something other than the size of the amps that make the D5A uniquely suitably over the D3A, then this would be ,IMO the way to go.

4. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replys,

The only reason I thought of the DA5ES instead of the DA3ES is for ProLogic II. Other than that I believe your correct in choosing the 3 instead of the 5, as I'm not using the internal amps. Any other differnce between the two?

James