What's new

SONY ES STR-DA1000ES or is there anything better in the sub $500 range? (1 Viewer)

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
just moved to a new place and my old yamaha 5640 is just not cutting it anymore. When playing movies at reference levels, I notice an electronic burning smell coming from the receiver. It works fine but obviously cannot sustain that level of volume for an extended period of time. Also the sound seems compressed and not very distinct at these levels.

Anyways I need something with a littler more power and the SONY ES STR-DA1000ES might do the trick. However, is there any other receiver (current and near future model)in that price range I should consider?

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
just wanted to add that i would like my new receiver to match well with other silver components.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Why not move up to the next one in the ES line with the 2000ES? It's got the digital amps which sounded very clean when I was checking it and the 3000 out. It can be had in the $500 range online.

DJ

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
i have heard mixed reviews about the digital amps in the higher es receivers. Some ppl said that is sounded digital (not natural) while others say it sounds very clean... which is it now.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Of course, only you can decide if you like them or not. I think the big knock against them was they had some QC issues and some had to be recalled. I haven't heard of any problems since certain batches were fixed.

IMO, they sounded better than the comparable Yamahas, Denons, and Pioneers in the brief comparisons I did. I was very impressed--they sounded very clear and clean without being bright and fatiguing. I still think they don't get the respect they deserve(and no I don't own one, so I'm not trying to defend a purchase :)).

It would be worth a listen, at least, before you pull the trigger on the 1000.

Good luck,

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks