Sony ES Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by balwinder, Dec 6, 2001.

1. balwinder

balwinder Extra

Hi, I need little help. I am setting up my home theater system and I am not sure which A/V receiver is good. I can get a very good deal on Sony STR-DB1070 which is 100Wx6 in Surround Sound. Is anyone familiar with this receiver? How are Sony ES Receivers? Retail price for it is over $800
    Any help will be greatly appreciated
    - Balwinder[​IMG]

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Sony is not really well-known for their Home Theater audio. Their ES line is very comparable to Yamaha's and Onkyo's mid-level receivers.
    But if I could get a sweet deal on that receiver you were mentioning I'd take it, but then try to sell it on ebay as a NIB item. Then take that money and buy a decent H/K, Yammy or Onkyo. Maybe you shouldn't be asking me about Sony audio. [​IMG]

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The DB series is the processing from the DE line with the amplifier and construction of the ES line. So you get clean power with average sound reproduction. If you must get Sony, ES is the only choice.

Look at Marantz, Denon and Onkyo. They offer comparable receivers at a lower cost and will sound better, IMO.

5. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Balwinder,

If you are planning on purchasing a Sony reciever then ES is the only way to go. I have owned my DA777ES for about a year now and have been very pleased with its performance. Performance is very comparable even better IMO than similar priced Denons. I recommend purchasing online from an authorized dealer for the added value. You'll get a well built reciever at a great price.

Good Luck,

Greg

6. balwinder

balwinder Extra

Thanks Guys... you guys are great help. I can get a really good deal becasue I know someone working at Sony. I get this receiver for almost half the price for what they are selling at Good Guys or any other electronic store. Now I feel more comfortable buying his product.
    - Balwinder[​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Balwinder, glad to help. I think you will find this Forum to be very helpful if you continue to visit. Anyway, can you get a good deal through your friend on an ES receiver or just the 'DB1070. No matter what, the 'DB1070 at nearly half-price is one great deal.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thank you, Andrew. While Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, and Onkyo make great receivers, the anti-Sony bias when it comes to receivers gets old real fast. I am a big fan of Sony products, but I wouldn't take a Sony DE receiver for free. On the other hand, I once owned a DB receiver and was extremely pleased with it for the price. Now I have an ES model, which is a very good receiver.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have been using a Sony DA50ES receiver in my HT setup for over three years now, and have been quite pleased with the component. My only complaint is the inflexible bass management, but that was the case with virtually all A/V receivers made during this time period.

I am just starting to look at upgrades for the 50ES, but have not found anything with the features (variable bass management across all channels and DPL II processing) and quality I am looking for at my price point. I would like to keep the cost under $1,500.

When a receiver can still hold its value in your system after three years, I think that's a fine testament to the product.

11. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

My Sony DA90ESG (ES model, the 'G' is for the graphical display it puts out on the TV) has been excellent.

Only 2 things - I wish the remote didn't use a bizarre frequency that almost no learning remotes can learn (I got a solution from remotecentral though) and it doesn't have 5.1 analog ins, but that's not a big deal to me. Oh I guess I wish it had more than one coax input (it has 5 or 6 optical ones too though!).

12. CraigH

CraigH Extra

I haven't posted for a long time, but I I feel that I must "represent" for Sony

I bought a Sony V444ES last year after much wringing of hands etc., replacing my very dependable, but 5.1 lacking, Denon.

I have been very pleased with the 444ES and do not hesitate to recommend it.

Good luck and have fun

CraigH

13. John Fieldstadt

John Fieldstadt Stunt Coordinator

It's funny how quickly we all forget things. I have had a DB940 for a little over a year now and have been very happy with it. At the time I was shopping around there was a lot of positive feedback here on the forum regarding the DB940 which in fact was an influence on my buying decsion. Other than a burning desire for DTS Descrete I have no regrets regarding my purchase. I think that you can't go wrong if you are getting a good deal on the DB1070. Good luck.

14. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

I'll add some more pro Sony ES sentiment.
    I got a DA333ES receiver over a year ago when One Call was blowing them out at $380 and couldn't be happier - other than wondering how 6or7.1 & DPLII would sound. [​IMG]
    Rob

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Having owned a number of Sony DE receivers for many years (still do in the bedroom system) I'm sorry but they just lack in sound quality (when compared to similar models of Marantz, Denon or Onkyo). The ES line has very good sound, but I still have to say that the DB series just doesn't sound ANY better than the DEs, in fact they sound IDENTICAL. I would easily spend that money elsewhere on a better sounding receiver.

Sony does have some of the best remotes though.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, it does seem like the DB receivers used to get better press here than they do now. However, I feel the 'DB1070 follows the same formula for success as the 'DB830/'DB930 and 'DB840/'DB940, and is therefore, an excellent value. However, for a couple hundred dollars more than price of the 'DB1070, one can get an ES receiver. Having gone from a 'DB930 to a 'V444ES last year, I know that there is a significant difference between DB and ES receivers.

17. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

balwinder,

I am a Sony fan, so I hope my comments don't cause me to get flamed.

The 1070 was just tested in the current issue of Sound & Vision. I think this receiver is rated at 100 watts per channel. When they ran it on the test bench with all channels driven it could only muster 31 wpc!!

I have been talking about this for several years. It used to be that most manufacturers, including Sony would rate their amps at 20hz-20khz with .05% distortion, for example.

For the last several years Sony has been rating it at 1khz with .8% distortion. I would expect that it won't even do its rated power at 10% didtortion with all channels driven.

If you are going to buy a Sony get an ES model. I have had two and they work great. I currently have the DA 333es which sounds terrific.

You get a better power supply, higher S/N ratio and a long warranty. You can't go wrong.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rutledge, Sony absolutely does not rate its DB receivers at 1 kHz with 0.8% THD. No way. If you go into Tweeter or a similar store and look at the DE receivers, you will see the blue and silver Sony sticker that says 1 kHz and 0.7% THD. However, that does not apply to the DB models. As stated by Crutchfield for the 'DB1070:

19. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I have a str-DE345 (which is the very BOTTOM end of the DE series).
    So if any of you extremely wealthy people out there who are getting brand new receivers for Christmas and already have a bedroom system would like to help a 15 year old boy experience Dolby Digital on Christmas... don't be shy to send me your old receiver [​IMG]

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew, seeing as you are only 15, the STR-DE345 is nothing to be ashamed of. Sure, there are many better receivers out there, quite honestly, but I didn't have a receiver as good as the 'DE345 when I was your age. Geez, I sound old! I'm only 31, but to you, I'm probably an old fogie. [​IMG]