What's new

Sony ES press release on all new digital ES receivers. (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
The link is here.

Like the first solid state amps and the first CD players, I can only image degraded performance with this new technology. I'm going to let the technology mature before I jump in.

Here's a picture.

Happy listening.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I had hoped that those new receivers with digital amplifiers would have i.Link (a.k.a. FireWire, a.k.a. IEEE1394) to transfer SACD or DVD-A digitally. With the exception of the highest priced model, the 9000ES, they do not. After following the link that Mike posted, click on the "Text" link after Download Options in the uppper right corner. This will allow you to download a specification sheet for the 5000ES, 3000ES, and DB2000.

In addition to the lack of i.Link, they have no pre-outs, no OP Processing (Optimum Preamplification Processing - used on the 4ES and 7ES to increase SNR by 10 dB according to Sony). They also have a crippled Equaliser (Mid band on the center only, not the front or surround), and only the 5000ES can be upgraded via RS232 (the others can be controlled via RS232 for home-integration/automation installations).

On the plus side, they have video upconversion to both S-video and Component (5000 and 3000 only), Analog Bass management (5000 and 3000 only), and the 5000 once again has a 2-way LCD remote (model RMLJ312).

170 W per channel into 7 channels is very impressive.

Before the nay-sayers come in saying that 1190W in a receiver isn't possible, note that the digital amplifiers used the these receivers are nearly 100 % efficient, compared to conventional amplifiers (Class AB) which are usually less than 30% efficient, and never more than about 60% efficient for audio signals. This allows a digital amplifier with a power supply of a certain capability to put out considerably more power than an analog one with the same power supply.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I wouldn't really expect pre-outs with a digital amplifier stage. You don't need D/A convertors for each channel prior to the digital amplifiers, so there's no reason to include them in the design. I realize this is inconvienent for some people, but it lowers the cost to other people who will never use the feature.

I imagine that soon recievers will have a special digital cables for connecting to external digital amps.

Seth

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The SMaster HTiBs have been out for a while but I guess sound quality is hard to judge from the dinky speakers in those.

Lack of preouts is just plain stupid :eek:

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
For a Sony product, that sure isn't very attractive.

As far as digital amps are concerned, mass manufacturers probably LOVE them: no more very expensive and heavy high-power transformers; and no more big, heavy & expensive-to-machine high-capacity metal heatsinks. These two items are two of the most expensive components in a receiver. and they add a lot to one of the component's "hidden" costs: shipping.

For example, the cost of the power transformer (for repair purposes, not the manufacturer's cost) for my $350 (retail) Technics SA-DA8 is $164.14! From this Link Removed (this is how I ordered the better remote from the SA-DA10 model)

So I'm sure the corporate bean counters are doing that thing Mr. Burns does with his fingers when they hear about digital amps: "EXXXXCELENT........"

LJ

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Yeah, it's all about saving money. That's why they've only put digital amps in their most expensive receivers.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that that digital amps are supposed to sound better than analog amps. Conventional Class AB amps have both even and odd order harmonic distorion. Tube amps are supposedly mostly odd order. The story is that digital amps inherently have neither.

Seth

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Ok, so I had it backwards.

Tube amps: Mostly even order distortion
A/B Transistors: Even and odd order distortion
Digital amps: supposedly neither

I'm supposed to be trying out a 7 channel digital amp soon, so I'll let you know if it's all true.

Seth

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I highly doubt Sony would put a switch mode power supply in a reciever, but you never know.

Seth

Ian Montgomerie

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it's all about saving money. That's why they've only put digital amps in their most expensive receivers.
The S-Master digital amplifier is primarily deployed by Sony in their cheapest receivers of all - the ones integrated into single box DVD/receiver "home theater in a box" setups.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I don't know I'd call that their cheapest reciever of all. I'd call it their smallest reciever of all.

Seth

Ian Montgomerie

Stunt Coordinator
They sell combo boxes with DVD player, receiver, and speakers for as little as 500 dollars. The receiver part is a minority of that cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks