What's new

sony es 9000 (1 Viewer)

JonDimasi

Auditioning
i currently own a sony es9000 dvd player, and it really impresses me on a daily basis, but what if anything out there is any better and im not talking about suppose to be better but noticably better.... anyone have any ideas?
i want to have the best video possible i currently have it hooked up to a 34XBR2 with M1000 comp cables
any ideas for a better dvd, tube tv, or cables?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jon, I'm not sure there is a player out there that will provide a marked improvement over your 'S9000ES. It's a great player. My brother has one connected to a 36" Sony WEGA (Hi-Scan or whatever it's called). The picture is great. He is also using Monster component video cables, but as I recall, lower-end cables than the ones you are using. Anyway, the 'S9000ES is a killer machine.
Some people have said here in the past that some newer DVD players beat the 'S9000ES in terms of video quality. For example, I know that the 'S9000ES has the chroma bug (some see it, some don't), but some newer players do not show it. Examples include the Panasonic DVD-RP91, Denon DVD-1600, and Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 and '5900M. See www.crutchfield.com for more on these players. At least one of these models might provide a better picture than the 'S9000ES, but I'm not sure the difference would be significant, especially on a smaller display. Perhaps others can share some firsthand experience or you can try out one of these models at home.
You didn't say how much you were looking to spend, but a player that might beat your 'S9000ES is the Denon DVD-9000. Bear in mind that it sells for around $3000-3500. It is said to show the chroma bug, but supposedly it is not a major problem. The Denon '9000 might beat your 'S9000ES, but once again, I'm not sure the difference would be huge. See www.crutchfield.com and www.denon.com for more on the '9000.
As for cables, you certainly are not using cheap ones, so I question whether changing cables would make a difference on your small display. Of course, you could try it. Kimber Kable, Audioquest, and Cardas make quality cables. Check www.audioadvisor.com for a selection and prices. In addition, Link Removed gets high marks around here, as does www.bettercables.com . I use BetterCables speaker cables and am very happy with them.
I am not an expert on TVs. Perhaps you should post a question on the Display Devices (TVs/Projectors) board. If you do, be specific with regards to price, features, screen size, etc. that you desire.

Phil Rose

Agent
This information was provided by Jim Oade in response to my question about a replacement for the DVP-S9000ES.
The dvps9000es is going to be replaced by the dvps999es,
and it will be improved, especially on the dvd side of it.
It will also play all media, including cdr's and crdw's,
unlike the 9000es! The converters will be much faster, and
it will incorporate newer technology on the sacd side as well!
You may want to take a look at this new Sony when it arrives.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Phil,
Very interesting info. I wonder if the replacement for the 9K will have the same build quality. I haven't seen a DVD player yet that makes me want too remove my S9000ES from my rack. (well, maybe the Denon 9K ;) )

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Sony has said very little about the DVP-NS999ES. Someone here posted a link to some info. about it that came from an Italian hi-fi show earlier in the year. That's about all I've seen. For some reason, Sony has been unusually quiet with regards to new products this year.

JonDimasi

Auditioning
the denon 9000 is a piece that may be better, price is not an issue the issue is will it acutally look noticably better.... also im not really understand what this chroma bug is can someone please explain

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jon, the chroma bug has been discussed here quite a bit. A search should yield some good information. Also, I believe the Secrets to Home Theater web site has some information on the chroma bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks